Weekend in New York

We’ll be in NYC in March and would love suggestions for an early diner near Lincoln Center before a 7:00 pm opera performance. Also lunch options near … I’m not sure. The Frick? Morgan Library? Whitney? Where? We are great walkers and can cab/uber. And a not-too-nice dinner. (I looked at Benoit and would like to spend less.). We’ll be staying at the Lexington at 511 Lexington as if you didn’t know. Finally, a Sunday brunch.

1 Like

How close do you want to be? The Smith and Cafe Fiorello are both directly across Broadway and will be less expensive than Benoit, but neither is particularly interesting. Rosa Mexicano and PJ Clarke’s, too. If you’re okay walking or cabbing 10-12 blocks, you have a world of affordable options in Hell’s Kitchen to the south or on Columbus/Amsterdam in the 70s to the north. Any particular cuisine? I’ve been meaning to hit up RedFarm (upscale Chinese) the next time I am in that area.

1 Like

It really depends on what kind of eating you want and how spendy you are willing to get, Manhattan can be expensive. The Upper West Side is constantly changing, and I dont know the current restaurant scene but the area right around Lincoln Center has rarely had good restaurants. There is a thai cluster on 9th Ave about 15 minutes south, of which Pure Thai Cookhouse is our favorite for a quick pre-theater meal, though the seating is not great.
For the Morgan Library, we have typically either headed to Koreatown, on the other side of Fifth Avenue or down to Manhattan’s Little India where there are a number of good lunch choices. Saravaana Bhavan for south asia vegetarian is one we like. Again, others can comment.
For dining in Midtown East, SipSak Turkish on 3rd Ave has been reliable for us though its memorable, brilliant founding chef died a couple years ago.

1 Like

Dinner at various walking distances (up/down 10-15 blocks) from Lincoln Center:

Sala Thai, Blue Ribbon, Bar Boulud / Boulud Sud, Blue Ribbon, Sapphire, Momofuku Noodle Bar, Zurutto, Dark Horse, Leyla, Salumeria Rosi, Felice, La Pecora Bianca, Sushi Yasaka, Kebab aur Sharab

When you have narrowed down lunch and brunch locations, we can provide ideas for those.

You can walk from the Morgan Library to Koreatown. The Frick is in the culinary wasteland of the lower UES, but you can cab or walk elsewhere. The Whitney has various meatpacking, Chelsea, and the west village nearby, or you can walk up the high line to Hudson yards if you haven’t seen it yet.

thanks. 10 blocks is about the limit for pre-theatre, as we’re compulsive about being early and don’t want to eat too early - unless we were to do a late-ish lunch and just have appetizers.

I was thinking of Benoit for the next night, not pre-theatre.
As to cuisine, the bride is very carb-averse, at least right now. She’ll probably want seafood and green vegetables. Spicy is fine. I’m an omnivore.

Ipsedixit, Leila looks good

Saregama, Thanks. These are very helpful. FYI Boulud Sud seems is closed for renovations at the moment to reopen “soon” but I’ll check periodically to see if they have a menu up. Bar Boloud looks good. Alas, Momofuku is out because of the carb issue I should have mentioned initially. I;ve been wanting to try it

Benoit is very nice for lunch or brunch, if you can work that in.

There used to be a Cinq à Sept (aka Happy Hour) at Benoit with small snacks if that’s up your alley.

Agree, good places are sparse in that part of town.

If one has to eat lunch near the Frick, I have been happy at Sant Ambroeus and E.A.T. on Madison. I’ve enjoyed coffee and cake at Lady M (Japanese crêpe cakes and other pastries) (41 E 78th) . I like the soups and desserts at Café Sabarsky inside the Neue Galerie. If you haven’t visited the Collection at the Neue Galerie, it’s worthwhile.

Lexington Candy Shop, if walking to or from Lexington, or the 6, has Egg Creams which are a draw for me. Food is pricey for okay diner /coffee shop food.

I’ve enjoyed that location of Rosa Mexicano. That’s been the best meal I’ve had in that neighborhood.

Wouldn’t that just be the East Side? LOL

I’ve always thought the border between upper and not for both east and west was 72nd street.

Speaking of 72nd, another option would be Charles Pan-Fried Chicken. Don’t eat the cornbread to stay low carb.

I like Benoit a lot, but if you want French in the Midtown West area, I really like Le Rock. Much more inventive menu. Phenomenal wine list. Gorgeous bar area.

1 Like

I love Leyla, but most of what I like there is not low carb.

Momofuku NB usually has a couple of special mains that are fish or chicken, non carb, plus starters and salads.

I thought Sud had planned to reopen in Dec, but in any case Bar and Epicerie are both open (Bar has a pre theatre menu, but you may be better off a la carte).

All the italian places will have meat and fish secondi.

Just struck me that Lincoln will have a restaurant week menu that might appeal (and be more affordable).

Since you mentioned spicy, Han Dynasty might be an option (85th) - take the bus down Broadway after, or the subway 2 stops. Elea next door is high end Greek, definitely low carb friendly, also participating in RW so has a prix fixe menu.

Down about the same distance away are Blue Willow, Nasrin’s, and Yakitori ToriShin and Totto both.

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

Except not cheaper

1 Like

For a lower key French meal that’s cheaper than Benoit, La Bonne Soupe on W 55th. Convenient to MoMA.
https://labonnenyc.com/
23.4_LBS-MENU

I also like lunch and brunch at Bar Room at the Modern. Prices around the same as Benoit last time I was there.

It looks like Benoit no longer posts a menu for its Cinq à Sept.

2 Likes

I live nearby. My favs are Lincoln and Cafe Luxembourg. Not a big fan of Bar Boulud but you may like the menu.

Skip The Smith and Cafe Fiorello. I dislike them both. Don’t bother.

Sushi Nonaka is very good omakase sushi. (Sorry. It’s kinda pricey.)

Sala Thai is very very good Thai and well-priced.

2 Likes

While I rarely send people to Fiorello, used to be that one could make a good meal of just their antipasto plate (choice of any 3 or 5 from the massive bar) and dessert (it used to be hard to beat their chocolate mousse and limoncello tart).

1 Like

Tatiana is maybe the best food in the city at the moment, in my opinion. It’s in David Geffen Hall. Difficult to get a reservation (if you jump right on it when they open you can get one), “Reservations are available 28 days in advance at 12pm.” Worth a try, if the menu appeals.

2 Likes

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention Tatiana.

2 Likes