Wedding food..discuss

For me, it was my Best. Party. Ever.
Okay, my only party. Still have the menu.

I planned brunch because it cost less and I was paying, and I was not about to try and serve alcohol to my
I was told it was the last wedding Setauket House had there, but looks like they still do “events”

http://www.setauketneighborhoodhouse.com/

We will be celebrating our 30th this July!

I think I’ve recently shared my son’s wedding in Turkey. They go to a LOT of weddings. Lots of diagrams at the table as we tried to communicate.

I so wanted to wear Pakistani wedding attire (it’s amaz!) but it was not to be.

8 Likes

Your wedding sounds a bit like my parents (from what I’ve been told) They got married 42 years ago. Saw an apartment they both wanted to live in so logically decided to get married. Decided that on Saturday and got married on Tuesday. My mom wore something white-ish. My dad a suit with a goofy tie. Everyone assumed it was a shotgun for a reason but 7 years later I was born! The pics look like it was a total blast!

6 Likes

I sold more than a few Bose 601’s circa 1980 from a Pacific Stereo in Houston, plus a bunch of 901, 501, and 301’s.

3 Likes

Cool keepsake.

1 Like

That thinking isn’t lost its just exhausted.

1 Like

had to laugh at ‘fresh brewed regular and decaffeinated coffees.’ but for tea drinkers only ‘assorted herbals teas.’

this has always made me crazy. same thing at a conference i used to attend (although they did include decaffeinated black tea). why would anyone, least of all a caterer assume that non-coffee drinkers are averse to caffeine?

the year i was on the opening panel (8am), i made sure to bring fully-caffeinated tea bags with me.

3 Likes

Well, I personally am a non-caffeine drinker and usually have to bring my own (rooibos) tea bags with me because 9 times out of 10 there is only caffeinated black tea available.

2 Likes

JR- I share this sentiment. Our two biggest points for our wedding was 1) cocktail hour is all anyone really remembers and is usually best part- so go big here & 2) nobody waits in line for drinks - aka have multiple bars set up in addition to waiter service. Happy to say we hit on both. (Also- don’t skimp on the cake and don’t go too heavy on it by that point).
Would love to hear how the plaza is these days btw…

2 Likes

At every vietnamese wedding I go to there are 10 dishes and the foods are usually abalone, fried rice, lobster noodles, soup and pork. I’m always stuffed at the end of every wedding since there is just so much food! Some people do bring the food home because by the 8th dish or so the food is untouched.

5 Likes

I go to a lot of weddings. My favourites are Greek, Italian, and Chinese weddings. I was introduced to Cambozola at my cousin’s wedding in Sonoma County 26 years ago. Have been to a couple dozen Pittsburgh weddings, so now I judge the cookie tables. :grin:

4 Likes

Lucky you. When a cookie table is good, it’s a great day for the guests too.

1 Like

A friend of mine from that area of PA said her MIL made her and her husband carry a tray of cookies to all the guests at tables. It was a way of ensuring that the newlyweds spoke to everyone.
She hated doing it and missed eating dinner because of it.

1 Like

@grumpyspatient the cookie tables at my family weddings are way to big to be carried around. They’re somewhere between 6 and 12 feet long, and there are hundreds of cookies. Maybe thousands.

3 Likes

That’s a lot of cookies! Not what my friend would of carried around. Maybe it was a MIL variation?

My first MIL and I were looking through her hope chest not long after her son and I married.
She pulled out a little box with the wedding date and names printed on the top, from maybe 40 years before. Inside was a block of fruit cake, not wrapped just in the box. Was a favor for guests at the party.
Did not look good! She was married in a church and then had cake and tea/coffee/lemonade in the basement.

4 Likes