Wedding food..discuss

Well, except for the wicked bad champagne hangover the next day.

7 Likes

Magical, to my way of thinking.

1 Like

Fun topic!!!

I have been to lots of not very memorable weddings but the standouts were our very good friends got married at a gorgeous spot, root top Manhattan in June for a VERY expensive black tie affair. Amazing food and drinks. Super fun band. Such a great party!

Another good one was a friend from work who we always teased ate like a 4 year old (chicken nuggets, grilled cheese, french fries ha!) had the most elaborate food for her wedding. Rooms of food. I’ve never seen anything like it. Sadly, I was very early pregnant and felt that I should avoid raw shellfish. I’m still bummed about it years later.

Our wedding got great remarks on the food. I was dancing my butt off the entire time and barely ate a thing! I didn’t enjoy planning a wedding but man, we had fun. I always recommend a live band if you find a good one!

On the negative side, I recall an August wedding in Mississippi. No food! No tent! No alcohol! Obviously, not the Italian side of my family! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

There’s only been two weddings where the food has been something other than the the normal fare that you’d expect at a wedding.
One was a friend who’s family was originally from North India. It was a Muslim wedding so no alcohol but the lamb biriyani was delicious. The other was a friend who had the wedding reception in his back garden and had his local Turkish restaurant do the catering. Can’t remember specific dishes but I remember it being good.

4 Likes

Memorable wedding receptions for me:

1. My cousin married a Chinese man (my family is Jewish) and we got to attend a traditional Chinese wedding banquet the night before. I was in college then and had foods I’d never had nor seen before, including shark fin soup. (I passed on the abalone.) Also new to me was a dessert soup to end the meal; in this case, a hot almond soup. My kosher-keeping grandparents, who didn’t even eat non-kosher poultry or beef, could only eat the fish and rice.
  2. The reception where the food was deli sandwiches but there was a full open bar.
  3. In the opposite vein, an over-the-top case study in wasteful dining, with an enormous “cocktail hour” buffet AND a full sit-down dinner AND a dessert buffet (aka a Viennese table). The worst part is because of the evening ceremony start and delays with the wedding photography, the sit-down dinner didn’t get served until very late and as a consequence a lot of food didn’t get eaten. I actually asked for my entrée to go.

My wedding ceremony and reception were held at a restaurant, and unfortunately we got to eat very little. My wife made the wedding cake, a traditional British/South African fruitcake (covered with marzipan and fondant) and everyone said it was the best fruitcake they’d ever eaten.

5 Likes

I might have posted this before. If so, I apologize.

My new bride and me traveled up to the the forests and fields of Michigan’s Thumb for a wedding of a sweet girl we worked with.

Wedding was in a sketchy “church”. Reception was in the church basement–and catered by the Brides aunts. Main courses were Possum, and hide on deer. Did my best not to retch, and left after giving the bride and groom our best regards.

7 Likes

Our wedding was held outdoors at a small ranch about 90 miles west of Houston. It was in 2007 so 7/7/07 was a popular date and the Wifeacita wanted it but I found it necessary to point out a few facts. It’s Texas, July, hello heat, outdoors, and her mother is in her 80’s. We quickly rescheduled for October. A note here, it rained every day for about two months SE Texas style but quit two days before the date and resumed 95 degrees plus humid so it would have been held in a hot mud fest.

The wedding had good weather and was quite a mix with my white guy family and friends, her Hispanic family and friends, after the ceremony one of her nephews told me in an exaggerated Spanish accent, “You’re one of us now!” So I got that going for me.

Our gracious hostess had a lot of her friends over and they built a bonfire.

The Wifeacita wanted sparklers so I bought a bunch of fireworks beforehand. By now the beer and wine was flowing and the locals descended on the fireworks.

The Wifeacita was happily wandering around the fire with her sparklers while the locals threw every firecracker, rocket, and whatever into the fire. I just got married and now she’s going to be killed by a stray missile so I whisked her away to safety.

I was later told that rednecks, beer, and fireworks are a bad mix.

It was an epic wedding and I wouldn’t change a thing.

Oh yeah, we had BBQ and it’s Texas so of course it was good.

13 Likes

Oh, that reminds me of the wedding I went to on the Rice University campus. The cocktail hour was outdoors, and though it was November the mosquitoes were out in full force.

1 Like

This brings to mind The Beverly Hillbillies. I can just see Granny in charge of the food prep and Jethro going back for his third heaped up plate.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

My hubby is a Longhorn (via both the Austin and Houston campuses). He says that’s the only thing that would have added value to our wedding, real Texas BBQ.

2 Likes

Since it was Houston in November I’m guessing the temperature was between 40 and 90 with your requisite mosquitos.

Rice University for those not in the know is a small school with a very high academic rating that can occasionally churn out a football team capable of going to a bowl.

I went to the Wifeacita’s nephew’s wedding in the chapel on the University of Houston campus.

There was a college football all-star game just across the street scheduled just after the wedding.

The deal was I go to the wedding and then the game and she goes to the reception.

I get there a respectful 20 minutes early and only the SIL was there with everybody else rolling in past the wedding time and the Father and Bride about 45 minutes late. I keep looking at the stadium. Wifeacita says it’s an Hispanic thing.

Anyway the wedding goes off fine, I see my game and dine on a dog and a couple of beers.

4 Likes

I would love to attend a clambake wedding

1 Like

Ah the cake! It’s so much more interesting when the cake is not a buttercream vanilla…

1 Like

No kidding!

Lovely! Wicked champagne hangovers is how brunch got its start!

1 Like

My only Indian wedding experience was a few years ago in a NJ beach hotel and the food was amazing but the stunning backdrop, wedding wear and jewels blew my mind. Great music night!

1 Like

What great memories, all!

In 1983 my bride was finishing law school and I was a concert roadie on tour before and after our ceremony. We met and eventually married in Santa Monica. The $3k covered 50 family and friends, picnic food at my inlaws home and a Beatles cover band. back then, we didn’t eat healthy and had some crazy habits so food was not even remotely important to us. We often joke now that if we ever renew our vows, the menu will be the first thing we plan :yum:…life sure is funny that way.

10 Likes

Bravo .:clap:

I’m going to an Indian wedding in India in April. It’s over 5 days in Lucknow. Looking forward to it. Apparently Lucknow is renound in India for its kebabs.

8 Likes