Websites - does spelling & grammar matter?

I disagree. It always matters. If you won’t take the time to express yourself clearly and correctly, why should I take the time to pay attention to what you write? Why would you encourage people to think you’re (at best) careless or (at worst ) clueless? (Collective you, not specific you.)

5 Likes

I feel like that paragraph is an excellent example of “why you should stay in school”.
Mistakes hapen, yet at the same time I Iose a lot of respect for someone who makes repeated simple glaring ones in written communication. My take away is that person either doesn’t pay attention to details, can’t be bothered/ doesn’t care, or just doesn’t know any better.

1 Like

When to use the semi -colon or the comma . That is the question.

1 Like

I also agree with you. Some people do feel strongly about grammar and spelling.
I forgot to say it doesn’t really matter to me personally. I can guess what they mean and choose to not get stressed about it.

2 Likes

Yes - but, as indicated, I’m English and therefore unable to accurately write my own language.

I’m reminded of my first job application, back in 1966, when I wrote I had attended a “grammer” school. The interviewer commented on it - still got that job at the town hall.

It only matters to me on a web forum if they write in such a confusing way that I can’t understand what they’re trying to say. Even then I will struggle through it if I think they have something unique to say. English may not be their first (or second or third) language, or they may have a physical disability that makes typing hard, or maybe they only recently learned to read.

4 Likes

I couldn’t even finish that paragraph - the run on sentences got to me a third of the way in. :fearful:

I think they do matter though I’m fairly tolerant of the occasional spelling error, or flipping they’re/their. I find myself doing that when I’m trying to fast in emails, though I would never have that in a presentation or letter.

If a chef has something to say (as the example above), them by all means spend the time and/or money on someone to help with the writing or at least a proofread and edit. Otherwise, your message didn’t get across effectively. I’m not saying it affects the food, but if you’re putting the effort to say something then let it come across effectively.

1 Like

I think most of us are capable of distinguishing between someone typing in a language she’s not entirely proficient in and someone too lazy or apathetic to proofread. The mistakes look different.

And I’ve noticed that people who are neither lazy nor apathetic tend to explain why their writing contains errors. That’s what (sp?) is for, and “please excuse my poor English.”

1 Like

Agreed. In my albeit limited experience, many folk for whom English is not a first language tend to , erm, “write with an accent”, if you see what I mean. I have an e-friend who is a retired teacher of English in Belgium - a native Dutch speaker (actually the Flemish dialect of Dutch). You’d expect his English to be excellent and, on many levels, it is - but it doesnt always flow with the right idioms.

2 Likes

Exactly. I had a Chilean co-worker who occasionally scrambled his adjectives and adverbs. Once I told him we needed light bulbs, and he said “I bought actually light bulbs yesterday.”

1 Like

My favorite spanish teacher learned english as a second language and to this day my favorite phrase of hers is “do you can believe it?” Somehow that mixed expression worked wonderfully as a way of showing her shock and dismay.

I love that sort of thing, as it inspires me to view my native language through a new lens. That same Chilean co-worker (where you at, Mauricio?) forced me to consider why it’s “in Manhattan” but “on Long Island.” Because they’re both islands.

1 Like

It’s not just on websites - just listen to the news broadcasts in the US. And my pet peeve is when they say “I went to go see _____”. Really???

Is there a “thing” about the word “and” in the US?

I’ve often noticed that Americans would describe this year as “two thousand eighteen”, whereas Britons would say “two thousand and eighteeen”

Not that I know of! But we do tend to abbreviate a lot!

Hmmm, I would more likely say twenty eighteen.
Admittedly Plains to West Coast guy.

1 Like

I’m an east coast gal and definitely say twenty eighteen, never two thousand eighteen.

1 Like

And the always annoying “Join John (insert any name) and I . . .”

4 Likes

I was a fan of the preposterous TV series, Sleepy Hollow (don’t judge, the star was gorgeous). I know the Catskills area well, but it was obvious that the writers were West Coasters. One early episode referred to Route 9 as “the 9”, and to a small farm as a ranch. NY has tourist venues that have bridle trails, with saddle horses for hire. They may be called dude ranches, but there are no cattle drives.

I know!!! Another pet peeve. I have many!!!

1 Like