We Spice has been open for four months, and offers Ethiopian and Eritrean products that are difficult to get outside of Oakland.
The owner, Rahel, walked me through some of their foods:
- spice mixes such as berbere and the hotter mitmita
- dried herbs including Ethiopian thyme
- flours for injera bread (brown teff, white teff, sorghum )
- kinche (cracked wheat, eaten as a breakfast grain)
- shiro powder : The pinkish variety is a 50-50 mix of chickpea flour and fava bean flour plus berbere seasoning; The white is just chickpea flour.
- a few types of Ethiopian coffee
If you call a few days ahead, they can make you fresh injera ($1 for a 50-50 barley & teff mix; $1.50 for 100% teff).
1321 Golden Gate Ave
San Francisco, CA 94115