Waterbury, VT area

We are going to Waterbury VT for three nights next Sunday. I’ve read a lot about Prohibition Pig and Hen of the Wood. Any recent reports? Anything else worth planning around? I’m much more cider and wine than beer, but we do have lots of info on great beer for the other adult. Thanks.

We stopped in Montpelier Columbus Day weekend and had a very enjoyable dinner at the Three Penny Tavern. There is a review a few links down. Very beer oriented but some ciders were listed too.
Montpelier had some very interesting restaurants on the main street, the beautiful state house and a Vermont Museum.
If you go to Burlington, consider Honey Road, somewhat connected to Sarma/Oleama, small plates-a lot of imagination or Leunigs for solid bistro fare.
Champlain Chocolate factory for a tour, Shelburne Farms to see the animals and sample the cheese and Magic Hat brewery are all in the area.
Shelburne Farms hosts the VT Cheese Festival every July, its a really beautiful property right on Lake Champlain. One of the largest commune-type farms from the turn of the century.

Enjoy your trip…its a great area.

1 Like

Friends took me to Hen of the Wood about a year and a half ago and we all loved it. Sadly, I didn’t post about it and don’t remember details, only that we found nothing to complain about which is fairly rare.

1 Like

Thanks. we probably won’t make it to Burlington, but appreciate the recommendation for later. My dream is to stay overnight at Shelburne Farms…they close in October for the season (no heat).

The adults ended up three nights in a row at Prohibition Pig, two houses down from our Airbnb in Waterbury. I’m from NC and I loved the collards, NC pulled pork, pimento cheese fritters, hushpuppies. Outstanding. Hen of the Wood was open only one of the nights we were there and we ended up just going back to PP. Cabot Cheese store disappointing. I bought some without expiration dates and two days after getting home, several were ammoniated and most of them had to be tossed. None of these were Cabot, I was shopping for other Vermont cheeses. Never again will I buy without expiration date. I know it was past leaf season but there should be better quality control. It was a great trip and we enjoyed, will return.

1 Like