[Washington Post] Sandwiches must be cut diagonally, and I’m not taking questions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2022/10/04/sandwiches-cut-diagonally-triangles/

5 Likes
1 Like

We’ll bite. To some extent, the shape of the bread tells you what to do, just as in baseball, the pitched ball tells the batter what to do. A square slice demands a different approach than a slice with a prominent dome/crown?

1 Like

Very important point that the filling determines optimal shape. They didn’t expound on the double triangle (for non-grilled sandwiches).

Now let’s move on to bread types that should and shouldn’t be used for different fillings. I’m fed up up getting baguette with inappropriate insides, or squishy rolls with stuff they can’t hold.

4 Likes

All excellent points. Biggest offender is bagels with squishy stuff that then oozes out the sides the second you try to eat it.

1 Like

Sliced down the middle from top to bottom otherwise it’s an asymmetrical nightmare!

Enjoyable read!

1 Like

Yes, the author of the WaPo piece links to this.

1 Like

i don’t cut my sandwiches.

If I want “two” separate sandwich pieces, I just get another whole sandwich.

Problem. Solved.

2 Likes

My current goal is to reach a point in life where everything in my life is going so well that I can turn my attention to important stuff like this.

In the meantime it’s regularly a piece of bread filled with something semi edible and folded in half on my way back out the door

4 Likes

The dilemma of squishy fillings is ameliorated by cutting through the top slice of bread BEFORE placing it atop the filling, then cutting through the filling and lower slice of bread. Holding the sandwich half cut side up while eating it minimizes the chance of blobs of filling falling out.

I am a fan of cutting a square sandwich into three triangles by slicing fron the middle of one side to the corners of the parallel side.

2 Likes

Dang!!! What a simple elegant solution. Thanks!

Or the deli method of wrapping the sandwich tightly in wax (or parchment) paper and cutting through everything at once. Bonus: the wax paper keeps everything together while you eat it.

2 Likes

Less of a mess on one’s hands, too.

:exploding_head:

highly unusual, yet intriguing

An authentic bagel shouldn’t be “filled” with anything.

1 Like

Except cream cheese and perhaps smoked salmon