Waraka (ripe jakfruit)

I received a piece recently, and took a few photos to post here before I finished them all. Eating waraka is really messy. So remember to keep it on the floor or somewhere you are ok having never cleaning sticky gum on. lol.

3 Likes

I used to get a half of a head (or “pod”? not sure what it’s called) from time to time at an Asian grocery not far from my work. Once I’d gotten it all cleaned up I’d look around and wonder, “Where did all the fruit go?”. Turns out I eat a LOT of it while breaking it down.

So now when I go I get TWO halves - that way the family can enjoy some, too.

:smiley:

2 Likes

lol. me too. I love to eat this.
I think it’s just “fruit” right? Not sure the exact words though.
I read it in wikipedia. The whole thing is “fruit” and it’s made up of “fruits”. So each seed is in a fruit, and all those fruits make one jackfruit, right? It’s too much of English for me :rofl: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Definitely the whole thing is “a fruit” because I see references to the tree having “the largest fruit” or “one of the largest fruits” known. But usage seems to breakdown a bit after that. The individual fruity seed pod covers are mostly called “fruit” as well.

2 Likes

I once acquired a whole jackfruit and tried dissecting it myself. Never again. I’m lucky in that I can get it in local markets already separated so no mess.

1 Like

yeah that’s how it is.
First you must soak the knife (better a machete) in water and split the fruit in halves lengthwise. Then again split each half same way (to quarter it). Then cut off the middle “spine” with a few milimitres off from the flesh of the fruits. Then take a piece of paper or cloth, and wipe off the gum until it’s clean. Then push the whole piece upwards to open up and separate the fruits. Then pluck the fruits one by one.
There are other ways but that’s the easiest for a novice. Remember to soak your hands in water before the whole operation.
To remove the gum from your hand, kerosine oil or petrol would help. Or coconut oil works to a great extent too.

3 Likes