Waltham, MA--current picks?

finally stopped by here today for some takeout on the ride home. I hadn’t even noticed before that I drive right by here near every week–I was convinced that whole strip was just auto places! I also didn’t expect it to be so tiny with just a handful of seats.

But that was fine! Put in my chicken souvlaki order and was warned by the proprietress that the grill was in a bit of a “kerfluffle”. It was 11:30 AM and there were lots of orders coming in and they were sort of struggling a bit. I saw her give out some free soup to a couple guys who I guess had been waiting for awhile, which I took as a good sign. She was really in control though and when I said I was in no hurry she told me not to say that or I’d never get my food!

After all that, my order really didn’t take all that long and I drove it back to Medford smelling the good aromas coming out of the bag. I had been told that the roasted potatoes weren’t ready (I said hash browns were fine) but when I opened it up at home along with the chicken souvlaki and greek salad there were some good quality roast potatoes. The greek salad was above average for this sort of spot (good greenery, lots of feta) and the souvlaki was cooked really nicely. I also loved the sauce that came with it–it wasn’t yogurt based, but more an oil/lemon/vinegar thing. Went great on the chicken and the potatoes.

This is a cool place–I liked the vibe and the limited menu seems well focused. I notice they use things like Iggy’s bread for their sandwiches, seem to have good coffee and the feta on my salad seemed better quality than you’d get at a lot of joints like this. I would think the breakfast stuff here would be aces.

All in all, another good lunch garnered from this thread. Thanks again for all the suggestions here–I’ve done well eating off of this post

A final note: I did also stop into Domenic’s and get a beef empanada to reheat for breakfast tomorrow. I’ll let you all know how that goes in the morning!

4 Likes

Thanks for all your reports, passing_thru. They really are fun and helpful.

Yes, please do. Inquiring minds want to know about those empanadas.

well, they’re fantastic. I think they are a little pricey for the size ($3.50 or so) but the beef and hard boiled egg filling is flavorful and the handmade dough is really tender and flaky. Reheated well for a breakfast item, too, and likely would be even better fresh!

4 Likes

today was my last commute back from the west for the foreseeable future, so I made one final detour into Waltham for lunch. Decided I’d put off Moody’s long enough, so I went in and bought a pork belly/country pate/smoked pork banh mi. It was really good, with the pickled daikon and carrot mixing with a sriracha aioli that packed a lot of punch. My mild complaint would be that the ciabatta they use for the roll is a perfectly good bread for sandwiches, but that it maybe doesn’t fit the banh mi mold, But that’s just me being fussy, and overall the sandwich was delicious and made for a good lunch.

Also picked up two squares of mushroom/brussels sprout Sicilian pizza that’s gonna get reheated for dinner because it looked so enticing sitting there on the counter. Additionally, next door is still all boarded up so I dunno when that place is going to open.

For a final stop I went down to Alma’s and picked up a spinach pie for breakfast tomorrow and a couple of baklava. This is a nice little market, and the spinach pie looks hefty and was warm when they slid it into the bag. For some idiotic reason I didn’t buy any of the homemade Greek yogurt they sell in the back–I don’t know why, Thimes told me it was really good above! Chalk that up to me being tired from packing and driving back, I guess. Next time I’m in Waltham I’ll make sure that I rectify that botch job.

Anyway, for the time being that is probably it for my regular updates to this thread since I’m not making this trip anymore. Thanks again for all the tips in the first place–they helped me find many great area lunches and explore Waltham’s really high quality food scene. It’s a great town for food spots, you people who live there are really lucky! My niece is moving here soon, so I’ll be back for sure…

7 Likes

Congratulations on your new situation without the weekly travel! And thank you for pointing out Alma’s so we can sample it sometime.

As coincidence would have it, my husband and I were also at Moody’s for lunch today on our way back from a meeting. Second time ever for the two of us to eat on the premises. We had a burnt ends sandwich, which was a special, and a white truffle salami sandwich between us. So we could trade.

The roll was just right for the burnt ends sandwich. But I have to say that the excellent baguette for the white truffle salami competed with the salami. Bread has wonderful crust and chew to an extent that, for me, blunts the flavor of their exceptional charcuterie. Still good, though I now realize I enjoy Moody’s charcuterie more when it’s not part of a sandwich. What a problem to have, right?

3 Likes

haha. me, I wish they had put my banh mi stuff onto that baguette! ah, well. I do need to go back there just to pick up some charcuterie sometime in the future, but yes–it looks so good I can imagine it might be best on its own.

I didn’t notice the burnt ends sandwich special, sadly–probably would have gotten that!

1 Like

Thanks so much for the updates, passing_thru. I’ve really enjoyed them and found them helpful. And welcome to full-time Boston living!

4 Likes

how is the status of the Moody’s next door thing these days? any reports from the field?

We were there a few weeks ago - sounds like end of February is the new target.

2 Likes

thanks for the info!

We were there on Sunday, and didn’t think to ask, but it is totally sealed off from view. I did try to peek!

1 Like

Well, @thimes and @bear have more recent intel than me. Me? I am still waiting with anticipation.

1 Like

Well, my husband was teasing me because I was trying to peek behind walls. It never occured to me to actually ask the lovely employees about a timeline!

1 Like

Remind me never to invite you to a party in a room next to my bedroom.

4 Likes

Not technically waltham - but the close side of Watertown.

We just had lunch at Super Fusion (odd name) - sushi - honestly it was the best sushi we’ve had in the area to date. Great rice, great sushi, awesome tuna belly, and super nice staff.

Not sure why this place isn’t mentioned all the time on here.

2 Likes

They’ve been around a long time and had ups and downs in terms of quality. Good to hear they seem to be up right now.