[Ventnor, Isle of Wight] Drunken Lobster

Small plates lunch here. Szechuan king prawn and pineapple katsu maki, pork belly (with pickled cucumber and hoisin) bao, teriyaki seated rib eye with radicchio and avruga caviar, tempura soft shell crab (with chilli and yuzu slaw) bao, and a special dish of the day: katsu lamb cutlets with nasu dengaku (miso aubergine). The lamb cutlet dish was so good we ordered a second plate. The nasu dengaku was amazing - zinging with fresh ginger. Other plates were also great. Cocktails were a mixed bag - apricot estate was good but Thai lemonade was meh. Premises small but with cool decor - no ocean views though. Excellent service. This is a sister restaurant to Smoking Lobster, so a bit on the pricey side but the cooking is of a very high standard.

Again, I can’t figure out how to upload my photos…

8 Likes

That’s sad because I’d love to see photos of this meal, which sounds amazing!!

If you look at the icons above the box where you are typing text, the arrow pointing up allows you to load photos. It takes a few seconds once you select the photos and click on ADD at the upper right. Wait until you see the photos fully uploaded on the right-hand preview side.

(post deleted by author)

5 Likes

Just using GretchenS’s very helpful advice to figure out how to add photos. I’m adding them in the thread as I think I’ve most my window for editing my original post. The photos are of the pork belly bao and prawn and pineapple katsu maki with apricot estate cocktail on the side. The other photo is of the soft shell crab bao with a striking black bun. The lamb cutlets were gobbled up as soon as they hit the table, so no pics!

1 Like

Wow! The food is even more gorgeous than I expected!! The Isle of Wight might need to be added to my list. Never got there when I lived in the UK.

The IOW definitely becoming something of a foodie destination with gorgeous scenery to boot. And tons of walking paths to burn the calories off! We were pleasantly surprised and plan to return soon.

3 Likes