Veggie Corner in Harpswell, Maine

For those who love the Veggie Corner - the pastries! - they’re CLOSING.

What’s even sadder is that this is the first time I’ve heard of this place.

@digga - do you go to Harpswell at all? It’s a GEM. The best local berries and truly amazing cookies and pastries. We go daily when we vacation in S. Harpswell.

Yeah, we almost bought a house in Harpswell last summer but got scooped. We tend to go further downcoast, towards Pemaquid but we like Harpswell, too.

2 Likes

I’m just catching up on threads now that I’m back home…eek! I meant “downeast.” I vaguely remember reading someone using the “downcoast” in a Globe article (?) and I must have internalized that - Freudian slip!

2 Likes

A good friend of mine from growing up in RI bought a house in Pemaquid!

1 Like

We could’ve hung out! Because any friend of yours is a friend of mine.

Instead, we got a place closer to home, in Barrington RI.

1 Like

I did happen upon Pemaquid Seafood, which pairs outstanding lobster and crab rolls with great views. And blueberry pancakes at Dot’s in Round Pond. Just a great area — my usual base of operations is Damariscotta.

3 Likes

Tell me more about Dot’s. My winter base of operations is Round Pond but I haven’t tried Dot’s yet.

2 Likes

Only been the one time. It’s a little diner known for baked goods. The pancakes were great!

2 Likes

Oh man - that’s a shame. My parents go there all the time - they haven’t even mentioned it’s closing. For those living out in Harpswell this will be a big blow.

1 Like

My Mom’s comment when I asked her about it …

Yes. Very sad for the community and for me, personally. Ray is such a nice man - always friendly, always greets his regular customers by their first name, takes phone orders, etc. plus he had the best quality of meat around - and where will I buy our Thanksgiving Turkey now? Distressing.

3 Likes

When we were just in Maine for vacation, I noticed that the former Veggie Corner property in Harpswell had gone up for sale. Then I read this sad news that the long-time owners of Vegetable Corner have both passed away.

Clearly they will be remembered with fondness.

5 Likes

That’s so sad - we loved that place.

1 Like