Vegetarian/Vegan options in Morristown (or nearby)?

Morning, all! I’m taking myself to see the a show at MPAC tonight, and trying to decide where to get some dinner beforehand. I haven’t been up that way in years- anyone have any recommendations for places that serve a decent vegan or vegetarian dish? I’m not picky, and love trying new things, but would rather stay away from Indian or Thai, since I’ve had both already this week.
ETA- would really prefer a place that serves alcohol, and at least decent beer options.

Hi Cal,

Sorry, although I live up North I am not too familiar with Morristown, although I hear they have a lot of excellent restaurants.
Blue Morel is supposed to be very good. They have some nice vegan options on their menu like:

For an entree: Vegan Coconut Curry: Stuffed Napa cabbage, red and green curry, scallions, rice cracker, crispy garbanzo beans. Wine Pairing: Riesling, Dr. Konstantin Frank, Finger Lakes, New York, 2017

Appetizers: Farm Green Salad Organic farm greens, shaved vegetables, ricotta salata, toasted coriander lemon vinaigrette
Butternut Squash Soup: Pumpkin seed-sage gremolata, pumpkin seed oil.
Golden Beet Salad: Red Russian kale, pine nuts, blue cheese, charred endive, granny smith apple, mustard seed vinaigrette
Kabocha Squash Raviolini: Squash veloute, toasted almonds, pumpkin seed, sage, pumpkin seed oil
Sides: Maple Glazed Delicata Squash, Almonds, Dried Cranberries
Crisp Brussel Sprouts and Coconut Vinegar
Sauteed Mixed Mushrooms
https://bluemorel.com/menu/

For a wow factor, Jockey Hollow Bar & Kitchen has some vegetarian appetizers and small dishes.

I cannot personally vouch for these restaurants but I have heard a lot of good things.

Enjoy the show and we look forward to hearing back about what you had for dinner!

Depending on what you’re willing to spend, Jockey Hollow is excellent, but $$$–just FYI. I’m sure anything you’d have there would make you happy. Blue Morel is a drive from MPAC. Since parking can get tight on show nights, I’d recommend you get to Morristown earlier, get a spot , and walk. Restaurants within a few blocks include South + Pine, which is excellent (but I think a BYO), Stirling Tavern, The Thirsty Turtle, and there’s an outpost of The Office that’s been upgraded more than any I’ve seen if you want casual. MY choice would be South + Pine, as the chef is very talented. 2nd choice if it fits your wallet is Jockey Hollow (the downstairs is more casual). Let us know where you end up!

2 Likes

Wow, thanks for all the info. Striking Tavern looks decent for tonight, if I can get myself a seat! Definitely filing away both Jockey Hollow and Blue Morel for the future!

1 Like

I guess you mean Stirling Tavern :slightly_smiling_face: I don’t see a Striking Tavern in Morristown. They look like they have some nice vegetarian options. Enjoy & report back!

+1 for Jockey Hollow! We had an awesome dinner there last month!

1 Like

Oops- autocorrect runs rampant yet again! They were slammed, The Office was as well, and then I happened across a ‘bareburger’ which was advertising a new vegan menu. I’d never heard of them before, but snagged a beer from the liquor store down the street, and had myself a vegan sausage sandwich. Food was good for a burger joint; fake meats are not how I usually eat- but that beyond bratwurst sausage is tasty. Service was quick, and very friendly. Next time I’m up that way, I’ll either do Blue morel or Jockey Hollow, depending on the occasion. Thanks again for all the info!

2 Likes

Next chance I have for a celebration- I’m there!

2 Likes