Vegetable broth

I just chewed one of my kids out for tossing chicken bones. I’m with you on the bone thing. Shrimp shells, too. Love that stock.

1 Like

Bones are really not the ideal ingredient for stock.

Better to use things like wings, feet, neck …

#CollagenRules

Yes, I like a mix. Bones with meat, wing tips. I don’t buy feet anymore. The neck, however, is my treat. Gizzards also work. I think the butt is the best part of the chicken for chicken flavor.

Lamb shank bones, however, make my favorite stock. Might not be the ideal ingredient for you, but lamb shank bones are perfect. After I remove meat, there’s plenty of connective tissue, and I throw some of the fat in there. It’s the mojo to me.

2 Likes

Wings, feet, and neck contain bones. You might as well throw the rest of the bones in while you are at it.

1 Like

The butt even has some "vertebrae. " I cook whatever is left over after eating the meat off the bone. Then, if I want to get at each molecule, I’ll chinois the whole mess.

Interesting how a discussion of vegetable broth (stock, whatever) morphed to include bones, feet, etc.

I used to save veg scraps in the freezer and make veg broth, but I don’t bother any more. Right now I am obsessing over corn cob stock. I mandate that everyone at home save their corn cobs after eating and I pressure cook them for quite a long time and get the most amazingly delicious liquid. I use that for everything from soup to dal.

6 Likes

At least they are still talking about food. You should see some of these…

3 Likes

Oooo. Now that the season is upon us, I really like that idea. Thanks for the great idea.

I know, I’m one of the worst. Like to bullsht about anything and everything.

So, the last time I went into my local japanese store, I wanted to find these packets that had nori, and some spices in it. It was called rice soup seasoning. I’m hooked. Now I found it on Amazon for $1.

Any of you HO folks ever try this stuff?

I’d be interested in your take(s).

You mean like I was this close to say that all these talks about stock vs broth and bone vs mushrooms… Mushrooms are not vegetables as they are not plants. Anyway, if we are talking about non-meat base stock, then seaweed is one of the best non-meat base ingredients. Seaweed Kombu Dashi is a essential part of Japanese cuisine.

As for these nori seaweed flake, they are great. Easy to use and tasty.

I have kelp put on my yard. Is that off topic?

A mushroom is a fungal “fruit.” Really, it’s the reproductive organ of the micelial system. There’s something to ponder while cutting them.

Oh, those little packets of flakes make a big difference.

Cool video. The Japanese own a substantial part of my palate.

Yep. I know what people really means is non-meat. Seaweed/kombu is excellent source for making non-meat based stock.
Those Furikake flakes are nice. Since we are kind of on the topic about vegetarian/vegetable, people should be caution that some of these Furikake flakes do have meats, like salmon, borito and other fishes. Yeah, I have two packages of these.

1 Like

Sharing a little.
The top few packages are straight seaweed powder/flake. The bottle one is the Furikake. It has bonito and shrimp, so not vegetarian.

I often use the seaweed powder/flake for yakisoba. Yakisoba without the seaweed powder just seems to be incomplete to me.

These are also seaweed, but are not roasted and are cut or shred in small size. These are usually rehydrated and can go nicely straight to soup and be part of the consumption. The ones on the right are fairly high end seaweed.

Back to broth and stock. These are large kombu and usually used for making dashi, stock/broth (whatever people like to call it), but not for direct consumption. You can eat it of course, but most people do not.

Hi Chemicalkinetics,

As a tea fan you might be interested in trying out some of your teas as a stock or at least a component of your dishes. If I remember right Mugicha or barley “tea” was one of the first ones I read about in this use. I know I’ve used Kukicha, and I’ve likely used black tea and oolong. Kukicha was probably used in my first miso along with nori.

1 Like

You are so correct. I do not use tea leaves as food ingredient much, except the tea egg and Ochazuke (tea rice). Thanks for the nice suggestion. So you put the tea into your miso soup?

In the reverse, there are seaweed tea. They actually do not have any “tea leaves”. I enjoy these too, but honestly they are much closer to hot soup.

1 Like

Yea I guess I should clarify you brew it and use the strained liquid. It took a little playing around, and I’m too out of practice to remember any good recipes for it. You can also play around with the brewing times and heat.

1 Like