Vegan entree for a friends "celebration of life".

That’s an interesting recipe, Sunshine842. I emailed it to a family member out in WA, where we have a large extended family and they have many large gatherings. They would appreciate what looks like a pretty easy group prep…

2 Likes

For parties, I serve it with chips…but more than a few folks have been spotted eating it as a salad…

Like most things, its better if it’s had a chance to marry in the fridge for a while

1 Like

That’s very nice. You could also serve sour cream, grated cheddar, along side for those who want to indulge. By itself, it’s a classic.

1 Like

The avocado too? That’s the only thing I was worried about. I have so many fancy pants (Ranch Gordo) beans to use.

No, put the avocado in at the last minute.

1 Like

TBH as is that doesn’t read as an “entree” though… I’m thinking you can do the texas caviar and mix in some cooked quinoa or barley, then scoop into colorful bell pepper halves which would make a pretty presentation and “read” as a more significant dish, like a summery version of stuffed peppers. And yes, avocado added at the last minute

3 Likes

I’ve made this tart many times. To make it vegan you could sub a pesto for the cream. I’ve also done it with just Dijon.

For a crowd you could do a sheet pan version and get creative with the pattern. I’m thinking swirls and waves of color. It is a beautiful tart and perfect for summer.

1 Like

With the beans and corn, it’s a very substantial salad on its own.

1 Like

That sounds beautiful, but …it’s 150 people! I’m not trying to cook for 150 (and I have reason to believe it will be far less), but I can’t wrap my head around doing something I’ve never done, for so many people I’ve never met. And I am not assuming they are adventurous.

1 Like

How many are you estimating your dish to serve? 1/4 of the group? 1/2?

Texas caviar is pretty well known and well received. You could add a grain (couscous, bulgur, quinoa) but it’s not necessary given the beans. Required seasonings are minimal too - the combination of beans, corn, tomatoes/peppers is really good as is, so only minor enhancements are necessary.

But I wouldn’t use the Rancho Gordon beans - canned beans will take the guesswork out of bulk preparation. Frozen corn works well in this too (fresh is nice, but not in bulk).

If you’re worried about people not being adventurous, I’d stick with a crowd-pleasing pasta (or pasta salad) - dress with a non-cheese pesto (basil, oil, garlic, nuts), or a fresh (uncooked) tomato sauce, or a faux Alfredo with puréed cauliflower and cashews - top with garlicky/chilli breadcrumbs toasted in olive oil in lieu of Parmesan.

2 Likes

Good questions, and good thoughts!

I’m thinking of making a recipe intended to serve 15 people, but it might depend on the recipe.

I really like the Texas Caviar idea.; With cans and frozen (gasp!) it will be easier, and just fine.

I am way overthinking this, which makes me irritable on the day of.

I also like the Crunchy Thai Peanut & Quinoa Salad, but I’ve only made quinoa once.

And I was really hoping to do something with chickpeas.

There’s no way I’m doing this, but this Vegetarian Meatballs with Soy-Honey Glaze sounds interesting.

I’m realizing I want something that is good served room temp.

I am reminded I used to make an orzo salad for summer gatherings . It was Giada or Contessa.

I’m going to look for orzo with chickpeas.

I think this is my orzo salad recipe; it has chickpeas, and aside from the chicken broth, it looks vegan!

I’m going to miss the cheese options. Especially my newly discovered Israeli feta.

This happens on Saturday. "Ill think about it tomorrow. "( Isn’t that what Scarlett O’Hara said?)

PS; I was thinking vegans would HAVE to be at least a LITTLE willing to try different things; no?

You’d like to hope so. However my experience of trying to feed folk who choose to restrict their diet is that they don’t generally wander outside their comfort zone of “known food”, when it’s someone else cooking for them (presumably on the basis that omnivores may not understand their restrictions or have sneaked in an animal product). It’s fine that that’s their view - although I am not overly sympathetic to it, so have an attitude of “fuck them”. The vegans are unlikely to cook me a nice pork chop when I go to dinner.

3 Likes

Dont for a second think that vegans or vegetarians are more adventuresome.

Most if the plant-based folks I know are there because of texture issues with animal proteins, and they tend to be very picky in my experience.

(I love them, though, so I accept their choices and cook for them, too.)

4 Likes

what about a thai peanut noodle dish? Tastes great cold (or room temp) you can add any veggies you want, easy to do for a crowd . . . .

1 Like

Hey Bada B - I have a party coming up that this type of dish would be perfect for, so I’ve been following the links and want to make sure I’m piecing things together correctly.

In general - you made a roasted red pepper tomato sauce and used that under your sliced vegetables (tomato, eggplant, potato, zucchini) and then roasted it all for 3 hours at about 280F. I’m I getting that right? (The recipes don’t call for a bottom sauce - but I love that idea - and they call for a much shorter cooking time at a higher temp - so just checking).

Thanks for the idea, sounds like a great summer time dish to even serve with crusty bread and a nice rose wine.

2 Likes

Hi, Thimes: I don’t recall temperature and time for roasting all that well. Doing it again, I’d probably try an hour+ at 350, covered in foil mainly (just for not seeking a crusty top). The veggies just need to have softened well. Good to sprinkle some olive oil on top while cooking.

Note that it’s good at room temp and maybe better the next day, reheated or not. I think cous cous is an optimal complement–I make a seasoned one with broth, garlic clove, dried herbs and S$P, cumin, butter, some white wine, with fresh parsley at the end.

1 Like

I think I’m going with Giada’s Orzo and chickpea salad.

Somehow the great suggestions here reminded me of something I have some confidence about serving in this situation.

Also, although it has gotten really hot, I am reminded it’s not yet prime summer vegetable season. I think I’m going to try several of these for smaller groups when summer is in full swing.

Check this out!
Seasonal Food Guide

2 Likes

I’ve never understood orzo - feels weird in my mouth :joy:

1 Like

I think I can relate to that. To me, it’s so small, it can seem dense and clumpy when treated as pasta. When cooked right, but treated as rice or grain, it works better for me.

I have a visual problem with quinoa. Although I’ve only tried making it once, it always makes me think of sprouting seeds. Trying to get past that, and try different varieties.

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve already settled on a recipe, but here’s another option for your back pocket: http://www.bonappetempt.com/2013/01/nancys-chopped-salad.html?m=1

The chickpeas are cooked separately first and are really tasty on their own. I would omit the cheese and salami and sub in some sun-dried tomatoes and maybe some nutritional yeast in the dressing. You could make it heartier by making some vegan croutons to make a sort of panzanella. Or serve with foccacia (is that egg-free generally?)

1 Like