Val's Tavern - Rumson

Val’s is a local for us, and it always pleases. Recently renovated and opened up. Food is always good. Tasty burger, great garlic knots, octopus and wings.
reasonable prices and great bar service. Thin crust pizza is a classic.
Richie does a great job managing the place and everyone feels welcome.
Try it, you’ll love it!

5 Likes

Well if Val’s is a local from you then you are somewhat local to me, so let me one local to another welcome you to Hungry Onion!!! I see you recently joined, I’m glad you are finding your way around and starting discussions like this one!! (I’ve got to be honest I expected there had to be a Val’s thread already established but when I searched I couldn’t find one, so kudos for being a conversation starter!!)

Another local favorite of mine is of course Murphy’s just around the block from good ole Val’s!! If you don’t mine me asking, what do you consider your local “go-to”? Is it Val’s or Barnacle Bill’s (a big favorite on these boards) so do tell me your local favorite.

Welcome again!

2 Likes

Mr Calvanico, I hope that I am wrong about this but you sound like a shill for these restaurants that you are writing all these rave reviews. I am just a reader on this forum which I have respected for the most part for a few years.

I don’t mean to butt in, but Tom is as much of a shill as Jrvedivici is a shill for Char Red Bank. Heh.

3 Likes

You are so sweet and kind :pray:t2:

1 Like

Wow! That was a little harsh… I love reading reviews from newcomers

I am sorry for being abrupt. It is just unnerving to see a blast of reviews from a newcomer that sounds contrived. If I am wrong, please accept my apologies Mr Calvanico. I am a bit on edge with all this free time. I should find some new hobbies.

1 Like

Guess you’ve read my feelings on Char! Lol

1 Like

I know that feeling :wink:

2 Likes

I’m hoping he’s someone new and just happy to find a place to share his thoughts on spots he enjoys. Lord knows we could always use more people like that!!

5 Likes

Because I’ve been corporately indoctrinated like a good lemming, I always “assume positive intent”. That said, even cynical me never thought Mr. Calvanico was doing anything other than talking about his local favorites.

1 Like

I’m surprised to see all the attention.
I just had a few receipts laying around and found the time to write about them all.
I happen to think that this area is loaded with great eateries, and I think we should celebrate them, especially as they struggle to maintain.

My go-to place is Tommy’s in Sea Bright. I can walk there, and everything about it is good, except the crowds during season.

4 Likes

Are they still making lobster pizzas?

1 Like

We had a very informal “Ho Down” one time at Rory’s up the block from Tommy’s. We really enjoyed their apps, they had a great winter happy hour and their wings and burgers were quite good. It will be nice when “this is over” and we can have get together’s like that again.

1 Like

Yes … ish.

That used to be one of my all-time favorite pies anywhere. In fact, it was the only seafood pie with red sauce that I really liked.

We took out one recently and I was very disappointed. Much less lobster on the pie made it feel imbalanced and it just wasn’t nearly as good.

F’n Covid, something else it has taken from us!!!

1 Like

Oh man. Thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

@seal Val’s is my go to as I am a FH local…curious what you think about the new renovation? I want to like it but wow is it loud, even with reduced capacity. Can’t imagine what its going to be like post Covid on a Friday night before a home game.

1 Like

@taboni We just picked up and I stayed in the car so I didn’t get to see it.

1 Like

You have to get it there. I’ve noticed the takeout is very different from dining there. Especially the pizzas.

3 Likes