Urban Foraging - Share Your Finds

EThose are so amazing looking! I love wild berries, we don’t have any around here.

1 Like

They were good - like tart raspberries. Apparently they are a Japanese/Korean cultivar that invaded wild areas?

1 Like

If backyard foraging counts, we lucked upon these blackberries today before the birds did. Blackberry brambles hide among the trees here and there due to plantings years ago by previous owners.

Good time to look for blackberries. Just watch for the thorny branches.

3 Likes

Wow! I havent foraged in NJ but I do travel to most of the pick your own fams…if that counts.

You all are lucky!

1 Like

My sentiments exactly, there’s absolutely nothing to forage in Las Vegas. Pet rocks, perhaps?

1 Like

Chickweed. I’ve been putting it in soup and salads. At Thanksgiving I used it as a bed for roasted delicata rings with pomegranite seeds and pistachios. Pretty!

But it is a nuisance to harvest, clean, and prep.

3 Likes

Can you elaborate?

The maypops do not seem to be a variety good for human consumption. I only saw one partial fruit with evidence of animal bites. I picked at every size/stage/firmness and they were always rather hollow inside and very pithy. Great variety for prolific foliage and flowering for a long hot season!

It grows very low to the ground, so sometimes there is mud to clean off.

It usually grows amongst other weeds, so when you snip the tops you usually have to pick out other stuff from the harvest.

The leaves are small, about thumbnail-sized. I find the stalk below the top inch or so to be stringy, so I use the top inch, and then pluck the individual leaves from the lower portions.

Fiddly work! It’s a nice green, but I wouldn’t want to process it every day.

2 Likes

Well this is a first, even for around here … beach 1 main lake
:thinking: EDIT: They pop up like weeds in our yards, but have never seen one growing on the beach, has anyone else?

8 Likes

Wow! That’s great, are they good?

2 Likes

The only locally sourced mushrooms, rather foraged mushrooms I didn’t care for were hen of the woods

2 Likes

Wow - where is this @chowdom?

1 Like

She lives in the bear land in NJ (?)

2 Likes

Wawayanda State Park is just a couple of minutes walk from us in the Highland lakes section of NJ / warwick, NY https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/Wawayanda_brochure_text.pdf

2 Likes

An interesting one from my town…

The tree literally grows right behind the brewery.

2 Likes

We had wild raspberry bushes behind the condos where I lived in Tuckahoe, I loved going out on nice mornings and picking them … one day I saw and I heard a few old guys yapping away in Italian, they were standing over the bushes and had shovels and a wheel barrel, they dug them up and disappeared with them … They could have gotten into a lot of trouble because technically they were on county property. It’s possible they worked for the county too :frowning: Fiddleheads grow along the Bronx River too, but people know the spots and they disappear quickly. Lots to forage in the area, tons of wild blueberries hence the :bear::bear::bear:

2 Likes

We used to eat raspberries almost everyday in the summer when I was a kid on the walk to the lake. We would fish everyday and on our trail we would stop to eat our share. Those were the good old days! I can almost taste them now.

I don’t live too far from this lake now, but it just isn’t worth having some wanker call the cops for trespassing

3 Likes

My brother found several POUNDS of these
Morels%205-19

8 Likes

Fantastic! Enjoy them! (my favourite way is with cream)

In France you pay nearly 10 euros per 100gr for the fresh stuff. Even if it’s mouldy.

And the dried ones

I got 100gr + 25gr in the pot

Ceps, somewhere in eastern Europe.

This giant is probably oyster mushroom

And this?

11 Likes