Upgrade Syndrome?

I’m asking why you are calling this braising.

1 Like

So you like braising Waygu beef?

By the time the cook was done trimming that poor ribeye I was sad. It would have been cheaper and easier and likely comparably flavored to have used a Wagyu sirloin, one of my favorites for steak frites. The technique reminded me of curling.

Sorry, Meekah,

I don’t know what you’re talking about. . .

I’m describing: 1. my upgrade deba, 2. one demo, and 3. a teppan approach that demonstrates similar prep work and 4. cultural fusion.

This is an “Upgrade Syndrome” thread

Ray

So you used a braiser as a griddle and after searing put a lid over the steak? I think the disconnect was the reference to a braiser since braising usually involves (a) a tougher cut of meat that benefits from a long, low temperature cook in which its fats melt, (b) starting with browning, (c) a small amount of liquid, often a mixture of broth and wine, and (d) a fairly close fitting pot with a lid that seals very well to retain the small amount of liquid, much less than for a stew.

3 Likes

LOL. I shudder …

You’re the one who called it braising.

Braising:

BRAISE, braiser To brown foods in fat, then cook them in a covered casserole with a small amount of liquid. We have also used the term for vegetables cooked in butter in a covered casserole, as there is no English equivalent for étuver. Julia Child, Mastering the Art of French Cooking, vol 1, p. 11

Braiser : technique de cuisson consistant à faire mijoter longuement à feu doux des aliments dans un récipient fermé. Auguste Escoffier, Ma Cuisine (1934) p. 51Édition commentée, annotée et illustrée par Pierre-Emmanuel Malissin Syllabaire Editions

1 Like

Just teasing. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I love it when people use Escoffier. I remember how exhausting it was to follow his recipes. You usually had to string three or four together to make an actual dish.

2 Likes

Nope, Vecchiouomo,

I Googled for directions, and did two practice searings with ground beef that were pretty good–using my braiser with lid.

I then, taking advantage of experiences, seared and covered to get the exact level of pink on the inside.

I read about the approaches you describe–which are contrary to my approaches.

I always go for the highest quality beef–which makes my approach quite close to Teppan.

Ray

Heck, it’s exhausting to read. It’s in French :joy:

2 Likes

:wink:. Lol

Huh?

What does that have to do with “Upgrade Syndrome”?

Ray

Meekah: I got an English one in the 1960s.

Ray: I am glad you liked the way your steak turned out. The most important aspect of cooking (other than providing necessary calories)is the providing of psychic nutrients!

How improbable is it to see Deba, Staub, and Escoffier used in such proximity?

2 Likes

I answered you upthread.

Imagine Escoffier using a Deba and cooking on ECI. That would be true fusion cooking. Sadly, I doubt it would be an upgrade. I visualize him amid a sea of copper.

I agree… but I suspect he could adapt.

1 Like

Your “sear then lid” approximates stove top + finishing ( bringing to temp) in the oven. I’m doing rack of lamb that way “as we speak”.

1 Like

My “Upgrade Syndrome” urges go nowhere near Heston nanobond.

1 Like

Sorry, Meekah,

I’m having a terrible time following your posts. To me, they appear to have almost nothing to do with RobinJoy’s OP.

Could you please explain how these apparent off topic jaunts relate to RobinJoy’s Upgrade Syndrome?

Sounds dangerously close to gossip to me . . .

Ray