Upgrade Syndrome?

What do you use, a 500-stroke protocol?

Surely DW has made upgrade purchases for some items, yes?

You might try making the case for needing different sizes of fillet knife. Tomorrow’s salmon versus yesterday’s whitebait…

At least. :wink:

DW? Upgrading me maybe. She always introduces me: “This is my first husband…” which is a worry.

I’m not making a case for anything, just fretting a bit about a weakness.

2 Likes

How about your grab your new Global G-30 and introduce “This is my other wife!”

3 Likes

IMO,

We’ve morphed from “upgrading” to “buying most anything to feed a cooking hobby” seamlessly–which is OK–but a whole lot less interesting.

To me, upgrading implies growth: technically in the tool; culturally in how and what one cooks. It suggests changes in cooking that should be exciting.

Supporting a hobby purchases are more to show friends and neighbors.

I’ve done both, with more than a few ECI to support my hobby–even years back:

but upgrades get to the heart of home cook art, and my knife batterie upgrades have helped me to grow the most.

1 Like

Threads run their course and free to morph but some of your assumptions could use a little more thought.

4 Likes

Agreed. I removed my like, but to clarify I initially gave it because I agreed with the sentence about morphing from upgrading to supporting a hobby. To me upgrading and supporting a hobby can certainly blur. As for friends gawking at my stuff, if it piques their interest in cooking, that is a good thing.

2 Likes

I agree with Ray on the morphing. It’s part of the normal thread’s lifecycle.

Like @Chemicalkinetics mentions, some people just like to have the latest and greatest tech be it the iPhone or Android. Some people like to be out on the bleeding edge of things. Some may indeed do it for attention while others don’t. I’m politely disagreeing with Ray’s assumption here…and I am not often accused of being all that polite of a person. Lolol.

I agree in general, but isn’t there a point where a bit of “collecting” enters in naturally? I’m speaking strictly as a home cook without any formal training.

I’m a big fan of Le Creuset ECI and I absolutely buy it to use it. But there are a few pieces that spoke to me that I bought without a real purpose for them.
Pie birds? They’re more for kitchen decoration than anything else. ECI terrine? Well Julia Child had one very much like it and it’s so flipping beautiful and IT WAS ON CLEARANCE!

I may not be in the market for Chem’s $1600 knife example, but I can sure understand why someone would be.

2 Likes

Hi Jen,

I started my ECI purchases with specific cooking goals, and expanded them with purpose, but begin to blur in design, color, and presentation–as I got very good at finding value on the internet. I always make sure I cook with every piece I acquire–and I’ve got very good at one pot meals. I’ve also done some “gifting.”

As my hobby matures, I’m getting more and more focused–and “upgrading” is a bigger and bigger deal.

1 Like

I “collect” oddments, mostly French. Hand carved butter rollers, pyramidal confiture jars, purposeful plates and flatware. I “accumulate” ECI and friends, and store it as discreetly as possible, in no way using it as kitchen decor. I buy them because I love them, love Staub 's glazes that are so deep you feel you could dive into them. Each piece, shape, size has a different use, but, get serious, each need could be satisfied with a simpler pot or pan. I buy them in my time and at my price because they make my heart sing. No apologies.

4 Likes

Yes , Pilgrim,

Loud and clear.

:grinning:

Why O why did you put more ideas in my head? Butter rollers? Confiture jars? Here I thought I was ok keeping European style butter in a butter bell and putting up preserves in Mason jars.

2 Likes

To repeat, in order to infect, these conceits need to touch your heart, inner need, smile button. We each have our own. Husband has several 'groups of stuff" that I appreciate while not understanding at all!

Yes to butter bells. Yes to cultured butter and yes to keeping butter out of the fridge (note: in the winter I deliberately keep my place not toasty. I’d run the A/C in the summer like a fridge if my conscience would let me, so butter on the counter for me). Right before the pandemic I got it into my noggin to make cultured butter. eBay provided me with a jar churner and Amazon followed up with butter paddles, but then I retreated into my cave and making butter was the last thing on my mind. Now I shall sally forth and attempt it. Thanks, I think. Confiture jars? I realize I actually have some of those, but I don’t know why or when I got them. I have plastic snap-on lids for them; obviously not meant for canning. I do have a jar of fig preserves from my Grandmother’s “fruit closet” where she stashed her preserves and jellies and chow chow and pickled peppers (She disdained Certo or Sure -Jell; thought it was cheating). The fig preserves are In a Mason Jar. They are also probably at least 50 years old. I’m not opening them…

2 Likes

This is the type of confiture jar I mentioned. You fill it, float a layer of eau de vie over the top to sterilize, then cover with waxed or oiled paper, tying the paper in place with twine and securing under the ridge.
I have never used them in their intended way, usually for desserts like this rice pudding with caramel.

6 Likes

I used to like butter bells–until I had an indescribably disgusting experience with one involving anerobic bacteria. Conjure the worst possible smell, and it would be better than this smell. Never again.

I like the concept, but there are also other issue. Butter bells sometime have unglazed rims, which are are an invitation for butterfat to enter into the ceramic. This may be the reason for my horrible experience. But IME, you can see discoloration under the glaze, and this is a bad sign.

The other issue I had with bells was they actually didn’t hold much butter.

I’ve shifted back to just using a 1-cube-sized covered butter dish outside the fridge.

1 Like

I have this:

However, my first one just randomly exploded while sitting on the counter. I see some reviewers have experienced the same thing. Mine was not a thermal shock, but it was a shock!

4 Likes

Yuck. So sorry. Mine is marble, holds a stick and a half, and so far just provides tasty, spreadable butter. I have shifted to salted. My stick for cooking is unsalted.