Unusual family recipes

Wow, I’ve never seen it! I’m assuming it’s much creamier than the typical can of creamed corn. I’ve used cream corn for making Japanese style corn or corn and cream croquettes. Turns out pretty well, if a tad salty. Opt for low sodium if you can find it.

Ok, I gotta post now. :slight_smile:

Growing up, Campbell’s canned soup was a not so often treat. On the semi rare occasions, I would bulk up my Chicken Noodle Soup with one, more often two sachets of Doll Ramen. (I was an eating machine with a hollow left leg)

On the even rarer splurges, I would indulge in a can of Chefboyardee Spaghetti. One can of CBD, one can water (ala Campbell’s soup directions) and a package of instant noodle. Made for two nice big bowls of tomato noodle soup.

A few years later, dad cooked up a Spaghetti dinner at home. Dad was a line cook at a local “American” restaurant. You would think he’d know what he was doing, right? :wink:

His “Spaghetti” was just Noodles and sauce, NO SOUP! WTF?!?!?! Didn’t dare say anything at the table, but thought to myself: What an FOB! Don’t even know how to cook a simple American dish like spaghetti.

9 Likes

Hahaha! My dad considered anything that was red and saucy appropriate for spaghetti, which he loved. While he never put straight ketchup on spaghetti, he would take my leftover buffalo wing sauce when we made buffalo wings and pour this over cooked spaghetti. :face_vomiting:

Thankfully, not stuff that raw wings have been sitting in, but still…I get that it’s mainly butter and hot sauce, but it really has no similarity in taste to tomato sauce at all!

5 Likes

My dad considered anything in a restaurant that had any kind of “fixings” on it to be a salad bar. Hence, he liked the Taco (salad) bar at Fuddruckers!

5 Likes

This reminds about my grandfather and salad bars. He hated them. He felt if he was paying for food in a restaurant then they should do the work! And god help them if they put sprouts on his salad! He viewed it as grass and said he was not a cow. What was so odd is that he was a very quiet man and generally amiable. But the salad issues made him quite vehement!

5 Likes