"Until it tastes like the sea"

East River…Seinfeld.

1 Like
2 Likes

I found this https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s40071-018-0189-2 - the East River is less affected by the Hudson than I thought. Salinity is less than open ocean but not significantly so. While my recollection of a difference at Hell Gate was correct, my assessment of a moving salinity line as in other estuaries was in error.

So darn funny. Love Seinfeld

I once fell into the East River.

I often visited my brother, who lived in Gramercy Park. While he worked during the day, I occupied myself by visiting food institutions (ie, Zabar’s, H&H, etc) that I had only read and dreamed about (I was a wide-eyed 20-something). One day, I read about kayaking on the East River. It was fun until I tried to disembark and fell right in. The surfer dudes who were running the joint promptly fished me out and hosed me down. They advised me to go straight home to shower and launder my clothing. And I stuck to food-related adventures after that.

5 Likes

Mark once “fell” into the Dead Sea. Well, actually, he was wading in it, stubbed/broke his toe, and instinctively reached down to grab it, while yelling in pain, resulting in a mouthful of Dead Sea water. Believe me, if that’s the sea the chefs are talking about, stop listening to them immediately. With a salinity of about ten times that of the ocean, it’s definitely NOT the level you want!

1 Like

I have only made a few trips through Hell’s Gate. Many more through the Race. But I have spent a fair amount of time on the Harlem River which connects the Hudson to the East. Used to be on it twice a day when I rowed in college. Hundreds of hours. From very close experience I can say that water is very salty.

Who did you row for? I rowed in high school but only recreationally and sporadically since then.

The latest few posts have brought up an old memory, and I must post. When I was a little kid, we’d go visiting my auntie in Utah, and go out to the Great Salt Lake for beach days. (From hell) :upside_down_face: Talk about misery - mid 90’s, no breeze, no shade, and a salinity of around 27%! The little brine shrimp freaked me out totally, and the salty water stung your eyes, every scratch or mosquito bite, your privates, and anything else that could possibly hurt. When you got out, the sun would dry you immediately, and you’d have a crusty layer of salt all over you - yuck! We made and took water balloons along to cool off with, and there were primitive showers of sorts. Since there were a bunch of cousins, we looked forward to it always, until the reality set in…

2 Likes

I will provide a clue - some lyrics

Roar, Lion, Roar
And wake the echoes of the Hudson Valley

Ah. My Dad got two degrees at Columbia.