Unpopular (but correct?) food opinions - Eater

Agree on the raw oysters and clams. Like the idea, but can’t get over the texture. I do like them very briefly cooked.

1 Like

I had some Indian food in Seattle that put fruit cocktail in their lamb vindaloo. If you can believe that. I identified it by the weird red cherry piece and explored further to find the weird square pieces of peach and pear, and the horrific grape. Hated that stuff even as a very small child. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Omg that’s too much… I hope you put it on yelp!

1 Like

I’ve never posted to Yelp…

Tomato sauce DOES NOT need a pinch of sugar.

3 Likes

What is “an American”? Not saying there isn’t such a thing, but no one thing comes to mind as to what that would be.

Maybe you mean as in “United States of”? I’ve only lived in cities ( as in Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, D.C. , LA, Nor Cal. Bay ) , but each one seems so different, and so different from the p!aces !ess than 50 miles away.

I wonder if that is true around the world. My son just moved to Turkey and is having to rethink eggplant.

OTOH, I am guilty of not having had the UK on the list of the first three places I would choose to visit, but now that I am at number four, and I appreciate all the colonies/“immigrants” that end up there, it’s on the list!.

Fruit cocktail in vindaloo might just be the most repulsive thing I have ever heard of.

As for the article, here’s my unpopular opinion: ketchup, no matter the maker, is garbage. Period.

2 Likes

Try them halved, cross-hatched, spread with miso and then baked.

Raw bivalves look too much like a bad chest cold for me to even try them. I’ll wait till they’re fried, please.

3 Likes

Courgettes lead 2 - 0.

We’ve been accommodating immigration since those bloody Romans turned up in 55BC. They took up residence in what is now the city at the heart of my metro area.

2 Likes

I’ve tried this several ways since it was in my CSA box a bit. It just does nothing for me. I’d eat it if you served it to me but I have no interest in purchasing it ever again.

Very popular veg in north India.

I don’t think I’ve had any Indian preperation of it. I’d try it if I came upon it. Does that area have more flavorful varieties? Or do you think it is simply a tradional vegetable which is readily available?

It’s a traditional vegetable - the indian name translates as a variety of the cabbage family.

Cooked into gravy preps, as a salad, apparently many versions.

I didn’t grow up eating it, but I’m sure MJ or Sanjeev Kapoor have good recipes.

1 Like

I’ve actually taught myself to eat them raw and sliced thin. Cucumber texture without cucumber flavor (thank heavens). They also dehydrate well (microwave) into low-carb “chips.”

Cooked… too squishy. Same texture issues as eggplant.

We used to have an organic vegetable box delivered each week. We gave it up because it was too “samey” and I remember the many weeks when kohlrabi would be in the box. We tried a number of different preps - none of them amounting to other than “really boring”.

I love zucchini when its grilled. It brings out the sweetness. With regard to cucumbers, mostly they have no taste, but, in the spring from the farmer’s market the smell when you cut into a fresh one is great and the taste is there.

In couscous, you can’t have one without zucchini, it’s the texture. And then there is zucchini in ratatouille. When they are grilled in barbecue, they are good with the sweetness and freshness.

1 Like

Yes, I’m always disappointing in ratatouille. That is one way I don’t like zucchini!!

1 Like