Union Straw [Foxboro MA]

I think @LindaWhit recently mentioned Union Straw, maybe on WFD. We had to meet my parents mid-way between Arlington and northern RI recently. We almost always try to meet them around lunchtime but that means trying to find something decent in the Foxboro-Mansfield-Sharon corridor which has a dearth of decent lunchtime places (but I could be wrong). Desperately trying to avoid eating at Patriots Place, we found Union Straw and had a not only competent, but a good meal. Cute, large, sun-filled space. Service was a little awkward but sincere. We weren’t too optimistic and the food took some time to come out, but my three dining companions all loved their burgers. I honestly can’t remember what I got (a salad with grilled shrimp?). I just remember that everything was made and plated with a lot of care and both B and I thanked the guys in the open kitchen. Sorry for the lack of details but just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone finds themselves in a dining quandary in that corner of the world.

6 Likes

Yes, it was probably me on WFD. I’ve eaten there 4x in the past month due to frequently being in the immediate area for the past several months. :cry:

Their app of candied pork belly with a secret dry rub and a Pineapple Habanero Candy Glaze was amazing! Not overly spicy. Just enough back heat on the tongue. Another time, I had the Fig & Prosciutto Flatbread - a housemade fig jam, baby Arugula, lovely prosciutto with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Excellent.

Their pear and goat cheese salad (with added shrimp) was quite serviceable for what I needed for a late lunch. My sister had their drunken French Onion soup and enjoyed it, although she missed the gruyere (they use Swiss). I’ve also had the Fat Pilgrim burger - Turkey Burger with Swiss cheese, bacon and cranberry mayo. The only thing I recommended to them is that they toast the soft potato bun, as it got soggy with the cranberry mayo. Otherwise, the burger was moist and pretty good.

Service at the bar was always very good. Bobby was excellent. They seem to get crowded for brunch on the weekends. I think this is exactly what the Foxborough area needed to avoid the chain restaurants (which is what the owner, Steve, had said he wanted - a change from the chains that keep cropping up).

7 Likes

There’s a branch of Sichuan Gourmet in Sharon.

1 Like