Unfortunate restaurant names

If you don’t like it, don’t eat it. Plenty of others do. Many other dishes that take something saucy and pour it over something crispy. Curry and chips and frito pie are two of my favorites.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much what I do. This is a site where people share their likes and dislikes for food, correct?

Eat whatever makes ya happy, but I don’t have to like or understand it. I prefer my crispy things to remain crispy. It’s called “dipping crispy crunchy things in saucy things.”

5 Likes

Undercooked fries are a thing in South Africa, where they’re called “slap chips”. (If you’re American, think steak fries, but kinda pale.)

2 Likes

Ugh. Nothing sadder than anemic, under-fried, floppy fries. More for South Africa :wink:

4 Likes

Local micro chain here in the Philadelphia area called Han Dynasty. Fine name until you type it all together for a web address HandyNasty. Han is a bit of a character, I’m pretty sure he knew what he was doing.

3 Likes

We had a restaurant in Toronto called Kaka Lucky. Also a Pho King Fabulous.

Chains with stupid names have include Jack Astors, Philthy McNasty’s , Crabby Dick’s, Crabby Joe’s.

Szechuan Aroma in Manhattan, as well as Hot & Crusty, used to make me laugh.

Curry in a Hurry was a great name, in Murray Hill.

i lived a few blocks from Curry in a Hurry for several years in the mid-late '90s. Cute name, mediocre food.

1 Like

I never ate there. My friend lived on that block in the late 90s.

And a pretty serious vermin problem.

I don’t know if unfortunate or just trying to be funny, but 2 of my kids went to Auburn University for engineering (edit, one is still there) and often ate from a Chinese dumplings/street food truck called

• Dumps Like A Truck

Which eventually opened a brick-and-mortar store they named

• The Irritable Bao
5 Likes

Oooof - either way the brick and mortar is especially unappealing!

1 Like

Yes, but their customers are mostly college kids. They all think they have IBS and any number of other maladies.

(Except my kids, of course!)

2 Likes

We have a Mean Bao in Toronto.

Our indie knock-off of EggSlut is called Egg Bae.

We also have Egg Club, which isn’t a bad name. It’s a bit of a knock-off of EggSlut, in terms of its name.

1 Like

Should’ve been EggTight

1 Like

(Egg Club is better than Egg Bae)

And the First Rule of Egg Club Is That We Don’t Talk About…

2 Likes

This was not a restaurant but a gift shop in a truck stop in Walnut Iowa. It was called Sophie’s Choice.

1 Like

Yikes.

Oof. That IS an unfortunate name. Makes you wonder if they’d actually seen the movie, or just heard the title.

2 Likes

There was a restaurant in Palo Alto, Calif., named Sophie’s Choice in 1988. Very unfortunate choice of name. I can’t imagine what the owner was thinking.

2 Likes