Unexpected pleasant surprise cookware

You are right. I now believe it is Cook’s Illustrated.

2 Likes

Hi SP,

I have 4 pieces of Tramontina ECI, and learned what a great world company Tramontina is–even had a branch in Wisconsin, I believe.

but

I was able to get some All Clad “steals” that work well with induction–but I almost went with Tramontina SS.

2 Likes

@kobuta I have the same size pot by Calphalon and love it too. Came with a glass lid, which is perfect and hard to find in that size. I have the smaller size too - 1qt - but that didn’t come with a lid, so I make do with the 1.5qt lid Both used daily.

@ScottinPollock i have the same feelings about Calphalon’s tri-ply line as you do about Tramontina. I started with one piece that a family member recommended when they first introduced the line, and added more as they introduced them. I love the performance, weight, handles, and the edge/lip. They’re not expensive on Amazon, but I’ve often picked up pieces from TJMaxx or Home Goods for a song.

3 Likes

You need to enjoy it by using it. At the same time, keep it perfect.

Quite a challenge.

I have a few pieces like that.

Ray

2 Likes

This Shibazi is not so cheap:

$227.27 (from Amazon)

Ray

2 Likes

I think the microwave is outstanding for vegetables. Round Pyrex dish with a lid, vegetables plus a couple of tablespoons of water, voilà! Steaming, in effect, but faster and with less energy. Soon after my elderly mother came to live with me, I cooked quartered all-purpose potatoes that way. Not knowing how they were made, upon tasting them, she said in genuine astonishment that they had the most flavor of any potatoes she’d ever eaten.

1 Like

Yeah. Microwave ovens revolutionize cooking in many ways. Vast majority of restaurants have a microwave or two . In my case, I use it mostly for warming up foods, but that itself is powerful as it changes how I prepare foods.

Technivorm Moccamaster Cup One

I bought a coffemaker for my son, and discovered Technivorm Cup One for me:

I’ve now had it and used it nearly ever day for 5 years.

Ray

Glad that works for you, but Calphalon is on my no buy list due to the first pan I bought… an anodized aluminum wok that warped badly.

Once you learn the cup-one, it’s trouble free, but it teaches you. Cup one means exactly one cup. More water, and it overflows and gets the tiny hole plugged up.

Cleaning that hole is a chore–and I lost the enclosed plastic tool. I adapted a paper clip that I keep nearby . . .

If I use too much coffee, it overflows, but I have a backup way to pour out the liquid through a filter into the cup.

Still:

Ray

So tell us why you like it better than the alternatives?

As I said above, I checked it out for my son, and Technivorm tests as the best year after year–so I got one for myself

Ray

I have one sort of like the one in the video, but with a glass carafe. Husband bought it.

1 Like

Good choice.

Ray

I’ve been on the hunt for more small bowls for prep. I have nice larger metal ones (from Matfer) and tiny glass ones (from Duralex ) — both of which I love, but nothing in the middle, and not enough generally.

I haven’t made the time to going to my local SLT/WS to check out the different size options of the Duralex (pretty sure I remember them stocking them) nor was I willing to order a 6 pack from the Duralex website… but I was pleasantly surprised when, somewhat recently, HEB started carrying tempered, made-in-France Borosilicate bowls in various sizes for like $5 each.

They do have the stupid HEB house branding on it but who cares when you have the best material for the job and they are cheap!

4 Likes

Just recommended Moccamaster cup one to Zackly on his thread–maybe he’ll come here too.

Ray

I was gifted a Japanese Hinoki cutting board:

I would never have bought one, but once I wetted it and used it, I could see a practical use. What I didn’t expect, was the pleasant fragrance that filled my kitchen.

You live in Hawaii and you have a wood stove?

Does it have the water basin? What kind of wood you cookin’ in it?

(post deleted by author)

Here it is–upright hinoki–in my new setup