[UK] Prezzo to close 100 oulets

Fast on the heels of the news that Jamie Oliver’s chain of Italian restaurants is well up Shit Creek financially, Prezzo today announces that it’s closing abour a third of its outlets (about 100), including all of its Chimichanga Tex-Mex outlets.

Unlike Olivers and Byron (which is also in trouble), Prezzo does make a profit, albeit a small one (according to today’s Guardian) - so we may see mediocre, chain Italian food around for some while yet. Deep joy.

Just a pet peeve but Chimichanga Tex-Mex is an oxymoron. it’s an Arizona invention, not Tex-Mex just as burritos are not.

I’ve lived in Texas since the late '50’s and these two were not on a menu for much of my life and I’ve never had a chimichanga and only one burrito, a freebie at work from a chain.

so we may see mediocre, chain Italian food around for some while yet. Deep joy.

I don’t know if you have Olive Garden in the UK but bad Italian food soldiers on in the US.

We don’t - but Olive Garden is Michelin standard in comparision with British chain Italians. That said, after many years of trying, I think I may have succeeded in weaning Mrs Harters off insisting that we have to have an OG dinner on every trip to America.

Prezzo announce more closures - a third of its remaining outlets to go.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65375395

1 Like