Tycoon Tann 大官廰 (Hong Kong, Hong Kong)

My last large meal in Hong Kong, we went to Tycoon Tann at the behest of other people that paid for the meal. Smack dab around Central, Tycoon Tann has a rather beautiful interior. Unfortunately when we started our order, they had actually run out of their somewhat famous char siu (Hungarian Mangalica Hogs) so uh… there goes that idea haha.

Anywho, they still have their Peking duck so we decided to order that:

The peking duck was quite well done, with very crispy skin and very thin amounts of fat.

The platter that came with the duck was cucumber, scallions, pineapple, and brown sugar with hoisin sauce. They used the more traditional thin paper pancakes but I personally love the soft buns more.

Next up, we had the baked crab shell stuffed with fresh crab meat, onions, and cheese. Very nicely done actually though I think I like the stuffed crab shells that have a crispy exterior on the outside (like those seen in Fook Lam Moon or Yan Toh Heen). I’m not that big on eating cheese, but crab meat inside was distinct yet well mixed together.

Next up we basically got the king prawns with soft eggs. The prawns were huge and not overcooked. The eggs still soft and a little runny. Quite well done, just something I usually order with rice noodles.

Pretty simple veggies with garlic. Not overcooked and pretty much defibered the outside of the veggies.

Next up were these pan fried (soy sauce supreme’d) tiger garoupa filets. Good execution though, I think I’d prefer a nice whole steamed version instead.

For our second vegetable dish was something that I actually can’t recall seeing in California. These veggies are called ice plants (ficoïde glaciale in French) and supposedly they’re also grown within the state of California and Oregon.

I thought they were pretty neat. The outside of the stems have these little bubbles that provide a different taste texture. Cooked just right with a good crisp, the ice plant was given a nice savory taste due to the addition of the superior broth and the Jinhua ham. The yuba skins were a nice addition to the dish.

DSC05055

Lastly, the Tycoon Tann fried rice was ordered. Excellent wok hei, with a few sakura shrimps and regular shrimp thrown in. Mixed with bits of eggs and green onions, this fried rice was actually quite well done. Unfortunately, I had pretty much the same fried rice yesterday at Tasting Court so it wasn’t too special for me.

Ending our meal, I wanted to try their gigantic glutinous rice ball but unfortunately their leavening of the day wasn’t quite up to snuff. Got the almond tea this time and it was a smooth bowl but seemed a little thin. I liked the version I had at Yum’s Bistro more actually (go figure).

Overall, a very nice meal but on the pricier end (good thing I didn’t pay… ha). Would I go back? Mmm… everything seemed quite well executed. Service was great, food was well done. Just I might step out and try other places for the price.

3 Likes

Is pineapple a traditional peking duck accompaniment? I don’t recall seeing it. Hard to imagine pineapple in Beijing.

Live?

How much was the meal roughly pp?

Actually, never heard of this place. Thanks for the write-up. I did a search of the place and is a bit confused if this place is a bar or a restaurant.

First time saw this. Did a quick search, they sell grains in France, it is slightly acidic. Only problem it seems not very easy and slow to grow.

Those tiger garoupa fillets looked amazing.

I doubt it (note, I have not been to Beijing so don’t use me as a source); I just found it slightly amusing but pretty tasty.

Well, they say its live. I just didn’t see the actual fish brought in front of me.

Mmm that I don’t know but I can probably compile the costs.
According to the menu, the duck was 328. The crab was 198 each. The fried rice was 248. And I presume the rest is market price since I can’t find them haha. But probably around 80-100 USD? As I said, I didn’t pay but merely nodded at the selections and ate.

This place seemed kinda like a modern fusion in some sense if you ever see the decorations of the place. Felt a little more towards the people with an expense account than your typical eatery. So… both? Haha.

Oh, I thought they were somewhat common in France haha. I was heard them saying it was imported from there.

Quite good! Just… kinda small portions for five haha.

1 Like

A local friend took us to Tycoon Tann in late September. I thought the Mangalitza char siu and the wasabi jellyfish were the best I’d ever had, anywhere. A visit early this month confirmed my opinion. The char siu was even better than the Iberico version at Mott 32.

The Tycoon Tann char siu was moist, tender, beautifully marbled, and served on a metal platter with a burner underneath to keep it warm. The jellyfish was served in bite-size chunks, which had a more delicate texture than the usual shreds, and coated with a light wasabi dressing. I insisted on having a second serving of jellyfish to myself.

The peking duck was well executed, though I thought the one at Mott 32 was definitely better. The additional condiments at Tycoon Tann–pineapple, pickled ginger, sugar–really enhance the duck better than just the usual green onion and hoisin. However, a half duck order consisted of just 8 pieces of skin, the steamed paper-thin pancakes, and condiments. I couldn’t help wondering what they did with the rest of the duck: it seems one forfeits everything else if one doesn’t order the duck a second way.

2 Likes

Nice report. Wonderful photos.

Ack! Don’t tell me that after I left Hong Kong haha… Wow, I’m glad to hear such high praise of their char siu. I definitely want to try it now that I missed it.

Can you describe a bit more of your meal at Mott 32? Curious about this place.

I’ve only had 2 lunches at Mott 32, and I didn’t take any photos, neither did I take notes. Perhaps it was because I didn’t want anything–certainly not my cellphone–to come between me and my enjoyment of a superb meal. I do remember that we had several types of dimsum, all very good to excellent, including the lobster har gow, the taro puff with chicken and shrimp, and a fantastic vegetable dish–the one with tiny Japanese shrimps and napa cabbage.

The place itself is unique, buried in the sub-sub-basement of the Standard Chartered Bank, and gorgeously decorated, partly by a glass cabinet loaded with Mott 32’s peking ducks awaiting the oven. For anyone who hasn’t been there, a word of warning: there are many flights of stairs to descend, and the staircase walls are like a hall of mirrors. Better to avoid high heels, alcohol, or a combination of both when descending or ascending.

1 Like

Interesting to know.

What is the style of cuisine like, traditional Chinese or more a modern fusion approach since it is of a international group and have other restaurants in Las Vegas, Vancouver and Bangkok?