Two trad dinners in Paris in May/June

Our 20-something daughters will be with us for part of our upcoming May/June Paris trip.

I want to take them for two, or possibly 3, “trad” meals over the ~2 weeks they’ll be there. Right now trying to decide among Brasserie Martin, Bouillon République, Bistrot des Tournelles, Grand Brasserie, Aux Crus de Bourgogne and L’Assiette, though open to other suggestions as well.

Pretty sure I want one of them to be Brasserie Martin, but not at all sure about the other(s).

Assuming food is in same ballpark, the experience counts a lot here, so on the one hand was leaning towards one of the Bouillons, but on the other I recall Parn saying they might be a bit warm and less pleasant in June.

We’ll be staying in the 11e, but traveling not an issue.

2 Likes

Mini-Small World!
I too will be eating a few traditional meals with my ‘GenX’ son and daughter around April-May.
For those meals, I have chosen ‘Auberge Bressane’, Chez Marcel and Josephine Chez Dumonet.
Enjoy your choices!

How heavily do you weight quality of the food vs. other aspects such as atmosphere?

Usually weight food quality most heavily. But I’m looking for a couple in this case with at least some interesting atmosphere

If I wanted trad food with absence of environment, I’d readily go back to Josephine Chez Dumonet (if only for Parn’s favorite - bouef bourgignon). Went to Auberge Bressane last year, and while I liked the chicken with morels, I absolutely hated the room, finding it for me more tacky than even kitschy.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

Well, it’s complicated.

I used to go to Chez Dumonet decades ago when they had a great list of old wines at unbelievably low prices, but those days are long, long gone. I haven’t been in 15-20 years, but I always thought the food decent, the atmosphere good, but the portions were way OTT. . . . But some friends this week said that one of their two disappointing meals on this trip was at Chez Dumonet. So who knows?

La Fontaine de Mars never disappoints and since you’re talking about May/June, you can eat outside in a lovely setting.

I had a good meal at Benoît with @sfcarole a couple of years ago, but for whatever reason haven’t made it back since.

I like Les Canailles a lot for the combination of quality, atmosphere, good wine list, and modest prices. In part because of location, we go much more to Ménilmontant than Pigalle, but I’ve had good meals at the latter, too.

Grande Brasserie is very good, especially if you order the lamb for 2-3 persons (the portions are large – so ordering for 2 will easily suffice for 3, maybe even 4). Excellent wines, too.

For atmosphere and authenticity, consider Le Rubis in the 1st. But it’s been a while since I’ve been, so I can’t comment on the current quality of the food.

Café des Ministères is excellent quality, but not easy to book.

Aux Bons Crus, Aux Crus des Bourgogne, Auberge Bressane, Les Marches (all under the same ownership and more or less similarly-themed) are all fun to go to for atmosphere and useful because they are open 7/7, have good wines, and modest prices. As for quality of food, they’re not quite in the top drawer compared to some of the above, though. Aux Crus de Bourgogne is particularly nice on warm days/evenings for its terrasse.

Le Griffonier is fascinating for the atmosphere and the food is good although not great. There’s a thread here somewhere about it.

I haven’t been to Les Arlots in a long time, but it was excellent when last I went.

I’ve had mixed experiences at L’Assiette and Le Kigawa and so haven’t been to either in quite a while.

La Rotonde is very good quality and great for people-watching if you’re on the terrasse.

Etc., etc.

3 Likes

If you want a traditional meal and minimize the risk of disappointment, L’Assiette is a safe bet.

2 Likes

Nice post, as usual. But personally, we do not put Le Kigawa in the “traditional” category. It stands out not only in terms of ambience (tiny, subdued, elegant, and rather serious), but also concerning the cooking (Japanese chef, some traditional items, but presented with some modern and edgy touches) and format (carte blanche 6 courses at dinner), it’s the outlier in your good list, and indeed, quite the opposite from L’Assiette, which is almost directly across the street. We dined at Le Kigawa for the fifth time in the middle of October 2023, enjoyed it very much, and will return.

1 Like

I went to Chez Dumonet for the first time in November. I got the cote de boeuf. Given the price, I thought is was just OK, maybe a little better. Le Rubis I don’t frequent after getting in a shouting match with some old lady working there years ago. Funny. I’m not sure where I’d go for a trad meal these days. Seems like the good places are expensive and reasonable places with good food are hard to find, maybe chez Denise.

1 Like

Fair enough on Kigawa – you’ve been there much more and much more recently than I.

1 Like

Weather is a very important factor. The last thing I want on a hot summer’s day is a trad meal in a terrace-less non-airconditioned old-fashioned resto (of which there are many in Paris). Indeed I still have nightmares about my last meal at Joséphine Chez Dumonet as the guest of some elderly American friends of my parents on a warm night that had turned the place into a sauna… exhausted waiters dripping sweat off their noses and chins onto the plates they were serving, a near medical emergency at the neighbouring table of even older American tourists, the terror of finding absolutely nothing on the menu suitable for summer eating, damning Julia Child for making a few heavy trad French dishes so iconic to generations of American even if French cuisine had evolved into something lighter and more creative.

En tout cas, a very big yes to Brasserie Martin because it has a large capacity both inside the well-ventilated (ceiling fans) interior and large terrace outside (as long as you don’t have a ruinous overreaction to cigarette smoke), lively youthful vibe (relatively rare for trad restos because they tend to attract an older clientele), exceptionally good price-quality ratio, a menu that adapts to the seasons, perfect for enjoyable summer dining. And bonus points for its location close to the increasingly trendy hangout scene at bars and wine bars around the Square Gardette for a before and/ or an after likely to greatly appeal to a pair of 20-somethings.

And also a yes to Aux Crus de Bourgogne. Love it for the sparkling vibe, fab terrace for summer dining, and the excellent trad desserts that make me a kid again. For me as a local, the vibe and setting just seems so wonderfully and genuinely parisian even if the food is B+ rather than A+… but, for trad food the difference between excellent and very good is probably insignificant in any case… it just requires good ingredients and competent cooks who can reliably churn out the same trad dishes day after day, week after week. Again, a great area for 20-somethings… with parents in tow, an apéro or digestif at the very sophisticated and enjoyable Bar Chaumont in the Hotel Bachaumont on the same street… or mingling with the flirty trendies at Experimental Cocktail Club on nearby rue Saint-Saveur.

And a maybe for Bouillon République. I don’t remember eating there in warm weather and can’t really say if it’s suitable for summer dining… limited seating outside and probably not air-conditioned inside but they have migrated away from the very heavy Alsatian cuisine that its former owners featured and now offer a very large menu more adaptable to the seasons… usually a great vibe and younger clientele attracted by its superb price/ quality ratio but now that it has reached the guide books, the tone seems to be changing quickly. With 400 covers, it’s a huge place and last minute reservations are not difficult so I’d wait for the weather forecast before choosing.

Bistrot des Tournelles is very good but not great, and—a rather middle-aged clientele-- probably not much fun for your daughters. No a/c and very limited outside seating so off my list for summer dining. I’ve only been once and have no inclination to return.

L’Assiette is exceptionally good but I’d question the suitability for 20-somethings. The vibe can be a bit low-key and middle-aged. And, I seem to remember, no a/c and uncomfortable in hot weather.

Just because it’s so popular with hip 20- and 30-somethings and the food is very good, I’ll also suggest Rives on rue Saint-Maur near the Square Gardette. Not old school trad but close enough and probably more in line with current parisian, rather than tourist, preferences and certainly a very “parigote” vibe and sensibility mixing old with new.

Since I love the restaurant “theatre” of the landmark brasseries, I enthusiastically second onz’s recommendation of La Rotonde Montparnasse. Usually a mixed generational clientele yet quite beloved by trendy younger Parisians. In summer I seem to spend half my life on its strategic people-watching café terrace, and the lush interior of the brasserie-restaurant is air-conditioned and lovely for summer dining. Because it’s a traditional brasserie menu you can order as much or as little as you want, For me a platter of oysters is almost obligatory even in summer now that modern farming techniques have allowed them to be available year-round.

A tip. I rarely use online reservation systems, especially in summer because they don’t guarantee outside seating. I more usually telephone to make rezzies and use the occasion to ask about ventilation/ “climatisation” and to ensure a table on the terrace. Foreign tourists can sometimes be intimidated by what they assume to be language barriers but I assure you that English is a second language in the restaurant industry in Paris. If you are staying in a hotel, just let the front desk do all the arrangements for you.

2 Likes