Two Questions About Cream Cheese…

“Yes I have. I had the best luck flavor wise and texture wise with the almond milk version by Kite Hill”

Via my friend Carla in KC who has a cheesecake side business.

1 Like

While I think Safeway’s Lucerne products are basically very good, I’m a stickler for Philadelphia cream cheese, for its taste and performance. The main store in which I shop doesn’t carry the fancy stuff, so haven’t tried it. Also, if cream cheese gets over beaten in a mixer, it breaks down, and the texture can’t be rescued. I learned this the hard way! So, overnight or at least a few hours on the counter. I’ve also put it on top of the counter CSO oven, when in use in a pinch.

1 Like

“I used the kite hill vegan cream cheese, kite hill vegan sour cream, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, lemon juice and vanilla. The crust was rolled oats, sugar, melted margarine in a food processor until it had the texture of damp sand”
She added more information :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I make cheesecake I beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla until they are well combined. Then I add the room temperature cream cheese a little bit at a time. Then I beat the mixture until it’s completely smooth. In other words, I beat it for a long time.

I think your problem may be that Lucerne uses xanthan gum which Philadelphia does not.

Lucerne ingredients:

Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Cheese Culture, Salt, Guar Gum, Carob Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum

Philadelphia ingredients:

Pasteurized Milk and Cream, Salt, Carob Bean Gum, Cheese Culture.

1 Like

FWIW, many many years ago I happened by Junior’s in Brooklyn one morning. Junior’s as I assume most know is/was widely regarded as producing the best cheesecake anywhere, and this happened shortly after theirs was declared the best cheesecake in NYC by New York Magazine after a taste-off. They were receiving a (naturally huge) delivery of cream cheese, with boxes piled up on the sidewalk, and it was Breakstone.

2 Likes

Hmmm… I see no mention of cream cheese on their website.

Breakstone’s Temptee Cream Cheese, 11.5 Oz

Looks like Junior’s currently uses Philadelphia, might have been Breakstone back in the day. https://www.juniorscheesecake.com/faq/#:~:text=What%20makes%20Junior’s%20Cheesecake%20unique,fresh%20eggs%2C%20sugar%20and%20vanilla.

My favourite cheesecake in NYC is 2 Little Red Hens and they’re supposed to be reopening this year.

2 Likes

Thank you! I will look for that brand.

1 Like

Breakstone has weird websites. The main one shows no butter, but there is a separate one for butter. There is a creamcheese called Breakstone’s TempTee or something like that and it says Breakstone’s on the package but it isn’t on their websites at all, nor does it come in brick form only tubs apparently??? I think things have changed over the years. The occasion I’m referring to would have been about 50 years ago, sometime in the early 70’s, but as I mentioned it was when they established their reputation for cheesecake.

2 Likes

yeah… after checking the Kraft site I see Safeway’s ingredient list is wrong.

1 Like

Til it’s soft :wink:
I think submerging is a great idea