Tuna sells for record $3 million in auction at Tokyo's new fish market

1 Like

This guy is apparently worth a ton of money. It must be nice to stroke your ego and get publicity at a price of 3 million lol. That’s a lot of money to promote your name. I wish I had 3 million to blow.

I wonder if this actually a real transaction. I wouldn’t be surprised if he paid off the boat and fish market to make this number up.

Does anyone know what kind of taxes are involved in japan? What cut does the fish market/auctioneer take? What does the boat have to pay in tax?

This guy is the owner of the sushi chain Sushi Zanmai, originated from the now closed Tsukiji Fish Market. It isn’t an high end sushi place but seems got quite good recommendations for budget choices (open 24/24 and 365 a year). Maybe advertising budget for the guy and his 30+ restaurants? Since now he is no longer at Tsukiji?!

https://eatprayjade.com/2016/02/18/tokyo-eats-winter-guide-bill-granger-tsukiji-fish-market-and-ginza-maru-銀ćș§ćœ“/

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/tokyo-best-sushi-restaurants/index.html

Well, it was an auction so he just slightly outbid at least one other person.

:scream:

1 Like

I think he is worth over 2b?

At $5000 a pound (not accounting for waste) that better be some REALLY good sushi!!!

The guy or the fish? :crazy_face:

1 Like

And what is the most expensive and the cheapest tuna you’ve seen sold at an auction?
The cheapest tuna I’ve seen traded at 500 yen (US$5) per kilogram, it was watery. It most probably went to factories that produce canned tuna. We have many bidders representing such factories.

The most expensive tuna cost 700,000 yen (US$6800) per kilogram. It was 200 kg, so the whole tuna cost about 150 million yen - that’s US$1.5 million! It was sold during the first auction of the year about three years ago. The first auction of the year is the most important auction because we ‘outbid’ tuna (that is, to secure the winning bid) to celebrate the coming of the new year. One of the most famous sushi restaurants in Tokyo outbid it to advertise because many television broadcasters, newspapers came here to cover the news. It was good advertising.

What are the different grades of tuna and how are they priced?
We have four species of tuna. There is yellow fin tuna, followed by the bigeye tuna, which is lean tuna, but which has a good, bright red colour and is found all around the world. Then there’s the south bluefin tuna, which lives in the South Pacific and the Indian Ocean. And lastly, there is bluefin tuna, which is the best tuna. Bluefin tuna can grow up to 2 metres in length, or sometimes 3 metres.

Naturally, the texture and the taste varies from one part of the tuna to another. Tuna can be divided into three parts from its head to its tail: the upper, middle and lower part. Two blocks of the flesh can be taken from both the belly and the topside. The flesh on the belly is more fatty on the upper part, becoming less fatty toward the lower part. In otoro, or fatty tuna, the sinews are very strong and are mainly found on the upper part of the belly. The chutoro, meaning medium fatty tuna, is found from the middle to the lower part of the belly, and all the red flesh, or akami, can be found on the spinal side.

The upper part of the belly is the most expensive, while the lower part on the spinal side the cheapest. Each part goes to different customers: the upper part goes to upscale restaurants and costs about 18,000 yen (US$180) per kilogram, while the lower part on the spinal side goes to supermarkets and individual shoppers, and costs about 5,000 yen (US$50) per kilogram.

1 Like

This is so so retarded. And it’s not the fish.

{{sigh}} I’ve always wished I could get paid by my weight

3 Likes

The worst is, that poor fish didn’t get compensation for his sacrifice, nor his family. As a matter of fact, it is more interesting for them to remain weak, small, thin and tasteless, and they wouldn’t get bothered.

Not sure why, but I have this big smile watching the guy giving his speech. Wish him the best.

2 Likes

In Texas we’d chicken fry that sucker.

2 Likes

We smoke bluefin belly over cherry, and cheeks too. It is delicious! Some people will say we are insane but it is good stuff. Sometimes raw tuna can get monotonous so we change it up a little. Legally I can’t sell it so we improvise with other methods.

2 Likes

Redfish and Red Snapper throats are a delicacy down here.

I love red snapper. I get them at thai places here whole. I’ve caught a few redfish in FL but I don’t have any experience eating them. I let them go. I probably should have kept them. How do they prepare the snapper down there?

How much are they up there, the going rate down here is 9.99 a pound which I find excessive but they are beautiful Gulf fish. Next time they go on sale I’ll pull the trigger.

I used to catch them myself when the limit was 5 then 4 and now two which is not worth an 8 hour round trip boat ride and two hours of fishing.

I cook snapper the way my Grandmother did with a couple of minor variations, skin on scaled filets soaked in milk and egg and dredged in 90/10 corn meal flour with salt and pepper and a little Cajun seasoning. Fry up in vegetable oil not too long and that crispy skin sure is good.

A lot of restaurants will broil a whole fish scored or filets Pontchatrain style which is shrimp and crab in a wine butter sauce but I balk at 35-40 bucks for a fish filet.

I fry redfish the same way but the skin is too thick. I’ve come to like redfish better than snapper, second favorite behind speckled trout.

The skin is good for redfish on the half shell, chargrilled on the skin side down with the scales on cooked on medium heat until done served with melted butter. Good stuff.

The red snapper at my local Thai place is probably 1.5lb or so
maybe up to 1.75 if you get a nice one. Pricing went up from 19.95 for a dish to 22.95 I think a few months ago. Great dish. Another thai place sells it by market price. I paid 45 bucks for a 3 pounder last time
not cheap. This was in a trendier town and their prices are higher, so I had to pay the “town tax” for dining there. 3 Pounder

1 Like