Trying again post-COVID - NYCers visiting Vancouver!

Some of you HOs may remember me posting about a trip we had planned to Seattle and Vancouver in May 2020 - unsurprisingly, it didn’t happen! Here’s the OG thread: NYCers visiting Seattle and Vancouver - where to eat?

We were finally able to reschedule the associated Alaska cruise for this May, so if the stars align, we’ll be in Vancouver for a couple of days beforehand (no Seattle this time). Right now we’re looking at flights that would get us in midday on Thursday, May 25, so we’d have that evening plus all day Friday and Saturday to explore Vancouver before hopping on our ship. Would love updated restaurant and sightseeing recommendations - while I received a ton of valuable advice last time around, I’m guessing there have been a lot of changes over the last three years. Also, we are not traveling with my parents this time, so there are fewer limitations in terms of walking/activity as well as cuisines (seafood/sushi is a go!). Brewpubs and awesome Chinese are a must, but beyond that we want to try whatever Vancouver does better than NYC.

I booked the Skwachays Lodge near Gastown but that can be changed if there is a better/more walkable location you’d suggest. I also looked at the Burrard (where we were supposed to stay last time), which seems a little more central but has gotten some less-than-stellar reviews lately. We won’t have a car but are fine with public transportation (and walking/cabbing of course). Thanks in advance for your input, HOs!

3 Likes

We are former Vancouver part time residents – and only left after the province adopted punitive taxes to drive us out of town (to Seattle as it turned out). We still go to Vancouver regularly (or have resumed doing so since the border opened). Here are our “go to” restaurants.

Italian: Savio Volpe and La Quercia.

Chinese Hong Kong Cafe: James on Hastings (we consider James a “must;” try their live dungeness crab and pretty much anything else on the menu and do not be deterred by the very modest atmosphere).

Chinese Upscale: Kirin (Cambie location)

Chinese Dim Sum: Dynasty Seafood Restaurant

Chinese Shanghai: Shanghai River (in Richmond, but well worth the 20 minute journey)

West Coast Casual: Nightingale (creative small plates, another one you should not miss)

French Casual: St. Lawrence (just received a Michelin star)

Enjoy and report back.

2 Likes

Some contenders from last time that still appear to be in business:

Annalena
Nightingale
Five Sails
Boulevard Kitchen and Oyster Bar
Dinesty Dumpling House
Happy Noodle House
Alibi Room

1 Like

Thank you Peter for these recommendations! I’m glad to see that Nightingale survived COVID and is still going strong - it was my top choice in 2020 and will absolutely be on our itinerary this time around. Will check out the others.

Looking at some newer and/or Michelin starred places - Published on Main and Barbara both look excellent. Itosugi Kappo too.

1 Like

Vij’s for dinner if you like Indian. Granville Island is a mecca for food lovers. Lots of food stalls to peruse and snack at. Time and weather permitting, a stroll around the Stanley park path or a visit to Van Husen botanical gardens are both lovely. I will defer to the above re Asian food recs, but have certainly heard that it’s Richmond, rather than Van proper, with the best Asian cuisine.

2 Likes

Missed noting that the crab at James is served in several ways, but by far the best is the dry curry style.

2 Likes

Excited for you that the trip is back on! We liked the Alibi Room. Cool space but I remember I could’ve ordered better food (I think my bowl meal was rather one-note). I think B ordered something delicious following our server’s recommendation. Fun, convivial atmosphere and delicious beverages. (I was also 7-months pregnant so was not drinking alcohol.)

Is that vague enough for you?! :laughing:

1 Like

I was thinking we’d visit Granville Island and the market for lunch one day. I’m not sure I can talk DH into the Van Husen gardens but I’m sure he’ll be up for a stroll in Stanley Park. I know he wants to see some of the X Files filming locations so we’ll probably end up touring a lot of downtown on foot - seems like Stanley would fit right into that.

3 Likes

LOL, perfect! Alibi is on our list for drinks for sure. Looking at Container Brewing, Strange Fellows, Parallel 49 and Storm Brewing as well, among others!

1 Like

We had one of our most memorable meals of 2022 at Kisso Tanto, Japanese-Italian, and subsequently a Michelin pick. You will probably want to cab there, though, it’s not in the most salubrious neighborhood and the entrance is discrete. The Botanist is lovely for a drink and is on many lists, but we didn’t find the food terribly interesting.

2 Likes

Thank you @Painperdu! Kissa Tanto looks very interesting - I’ll be sure to put it at the top of my list.

@grayelf, you haven’t posted for a while. If you see this, could you add your 2 cents?

We walked past Kisso Tanto with our 6-year old in tow on our most recent trip and didn’t find the neighborhood scary at all. Just another data point.

Thanks! We’re New Yorkers - nothing much fazes us. In fact, our current hotel, the Skwachays Lodge, is right down the street from Kissa Tanto. We might switch to the Burrard, though - apparently the A/C situation at Skwachays leaves a lot to be desired, and there is nothing my husband hates more than being hot when he sleeps!

1 Like

You are probably right, Digga. We came at it from the west end at the height of the East Hastings occupation this summer.

Update: flights are booked! I put notes in my calendar to book Nightingale and Kissa Tanto for Friday and Saturday nights as soon as their reservations open. Thursday night I think we’ll keep a little more casual since we’ll be tired from the flight and a bit jetlagged. We’re planning to drop our bags at the hotel when we arrive (probably 1-1:30pm depending on traffic), then walk over to Granville Island and get a snack and hang out there until check in, weather permitting. Then maybe Dinesty Dumpling House for dinner (or other casual Chinese).

Our return flight leaves at 2:20pm on Sunday, which means we might have time for dim sum in Richmond beforehand (depending on disembarkation time). Shanghai River a good choice, or are there others I should consider?

3 Likes

Got my Nightingale res, now waiting for Published on Main or Kissa Tanto. DH prefers the PoM menu, so that may be where we end up. Thinking about brunch on Saturday - any can’t miss spots? Also, have any of you HOs ever checked out Guilt & Co. for drinks and/or live music?

2 Likes

Someone I know in Toronto is visiting Vancouver, and he posted a photo of an omelette he enjoyed at Kissa Tanto. https://twitter.com/paulerikveel/status/1630063029688705027

1 Like

A few dim sum places listed here. Sorry no personal experience on dim sum. But we used this article to find an almost totally Asian food court - mall setting and loved our varied lunch last weekend. https://seattle.eater.com/maps/best-chinese-restaurants-richmond-bc-canada-chinatown-dim-sum

1 Like