[Trivandrum, India] Dinner at Villa Maya

Our final evening in Trivandrum, so we decided to try out the cityโ€™s premier dining hotspot - the multi-award-winning ๐—ฉ๐—ถ๐—น๐—น๐—ฎ ๐— ๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ฎ.

Here, traditional Keralan repasts were elevated to the sublime, served amidst the sumptuous setting of a 300-year-old ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ถ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ต๐˜ถ mansion, first built for the Maharaja of Travancoreโ€™s consorts. Later, Dutch architectural extensions were added.

Our dinner spread:

1. ๐˜š๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ค๐˜ฆ ๐˜‰๐˜ฐ๐˜น- consisting of a variety of tandoor-grilled items like ๐˜”๐˜ถ๐˜ณ๐˜จ๐˜ฉ ๐˜ˆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฉ ๐˜”๐˜ข๐˜ฌ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ช (tandoor-cooked chicken), ๐˜›๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช ๐˜’๐˜ฆ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ (Awadhi chicken drumsticks), ๐˜š๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฌ๐˜ฉ ๐˜’๐˜ฆ๐˜ฃ๐˜ข๐˜ฃ (minced mutton skewers), and grilled king fish.

The tandoor-grilled items were served with mint chutney, spiced pineapple chutney, and a banana-apple chutney.

1. Stuffed crab - ultra-fresh sweet crabmeat, served in their shells with mesclun salad and lobster-butter. These were absolutely divine.

I was actually full even before the mains arrived, after this selection of appetizers:

1. ๐˜’๐˜ฐ๐˜ป๐˜ฉ๐˜ช ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ถ ๐˜œ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ช ๐˜œ๐˜ญ๐˜ญ๐˜ข๐˜ณ๐˜ต๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฅ๐˜ฉ๐˜ถ - tender chicken, pot-roasted with spices, herbs and shallots), served with Keralan appam and ๐˜‹๐˜ข๐˜ญ ๐˜›๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฌ๐˜ข (split lentils dal gravy).
    Some of the most tender chicken weโ€™d ever had. Full-flavored spicing really hits one in the face.

1. ๐˜‹๐˜ข๐˜ข๐˜ฃ ๐˜Š๐˜ฉ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ๐˜ณ๐˜ช - creamy turmeric-spiced prawn curry, served in a whole coconut. This dish was, simply put, the best-tasting prawn dish Iโ€™d had for this trip! Super-fresh and very tasty prawns, in a lightly-spiced, coconut milk-enriched gravy.

I surprised myself at how much I could actually eat here - but everything was just too good to resist.

A meal is never complete without dessert - we couldnโ€™t make up our minds on which to have, so we opted for the Villa Maya Dessert Sampler Platter- Left to right: Chocolate Fudge Cake with Hot Caramel Sauce, Tender Coconut Creme Anglaise, Sri Lankan Wattalappam (custard pudding), Phyllo Banoffee Pie, and Dulce de Caramelo (buttery-caramel-enriched cheesecake).

Now weโ€™re really done!

But the Villa Maya folks were not finished with us yet. They plied us with hot ginger tea as digestives, accompanied by some really delicious little batons of honey-glazed watermelon.

Superb cooking, and some really exemplary service. Manager, Sarath Mahesh, runs a tight ship.

Address
Villa Maya
(Near Muthoot Skychef) 120, Airport Road, Injakkal, West Fort, Trivandrum, Kerala 695008, India
Tel: +91 471 257 8901
Opening hours: 11am to 11pm daily

13 Likes

Looks beautiful!!

1 Like

Holy Crap that looks amazing!
Soooooooo jealous.

1 Like

The daab chingri is a well-known Bengali delicacy.

1 Like

Looks delicious!

1 Like

So good! Now that youโ€™ve mentioned it - I remembered the first time I had this dish was in Mustard, a Bengali restaurant in Singapore. It was also served in a whole coconut.

Villa Maya is a โ€œmulti-cuisineโ€ restaurant which, in India-speak, means it serves regional dishes from different parts of India.

2 Likes