Trip report [Block Island, RI]

Went to Block Island this past Sunday through Friday, first time in like 8 years. We just barely skirted the remnants of Hurricane Laura although we did see one spectacular lightening storm during the week. Didn’t have any great meals but we had a fine time, Spring Onion fell in love with the big sandy beaches right away. This was a working vacation for me so I missed out on a few beach sessions and had to wrangle with hamster-powered WiFi. And it was still awesome.

Sunday: Stopped at Mews Tavern for lunch before the ferry. It was a favorite place of ours pre-SO and they’re still putting out good pub grub and lots of beer. We sat indoors because it was hot and we wanted SO to check out the Treehouse Room. Plus, it wasn’t too crowded inside at all. B had big, good chicken nachos and I had a tasty salad with grilled shrimp. SO went with his usual plain salmon. I savored my “ferry beer” (to me, it’s not summer until you take a ferry). Through a series of events, we ended up having bad takeout pizza on the late-side.

Monday: Grabbed just so-so bagels (everything and plain) from the Old Post Office Bagel shop. Sandwiches looked good. Unbelievably, we ran into friends and ended up grabbing lunch with them at the Oar (a BI mainstay) for sushi and lobster rolls. Hot dogs, burgers, and chicken fingers for the kids. We sat on their big covered deck, cooled by ocean breezes. We spent the rest of the afternoon jumping off the back of their boat in the boat basin. I made a really good faux-cioppino with leftover salmon from home and from Mews Tavern, served over spaghetti.

Tuesday: lunch at Poor People’s Pub on their pleasant outdoor patio. We were initially seated indoors and it felt a little less than clean, so we waited for outdoors. Decent pub food (Black bean burger and a tuna steak sandwich, which B loved). Good garlicky greens as a side. SO had mac n cheese. Dinner at home of leftovers.

Wed: Farmers Market was a let-down. Fewer food venders than I remember, more trinkets and such. We got a really good apple cake to fuel our Rodman’s Hollow hike and tomatoes and baby potatoes from the one farm stand. On their recommendation, we got COTC and green beans from the Block Island Depot. Lunch again at Poor People’s Pub because the Beachead, where B wanted to go, is closed on Wednesdays. Instead of wandering endlessly, we went with known quantity. B almost orders the tuna sandwich again, but instead, got a grilled chicken sandwich and I got the “fancy” grilled cheese, which was a misnomer. SO had some kid thing. Dinner was grilled fish with a big salad of tomatoes, green beans, quartered potatoes, scallions, red onion doused in olive oil and salt/pepper.

Thurs: Lunch at Beachead on their big lovely patio. B had a hot Nashville chicken sandwich and I had Matunuck littlenecks, small portion even for an app but delicious with soppable broth.

Dinner was leftovers at home. And, of course, the last day is all about trying to eat the fridge, one last beach session. We never had any beach lunches, which I love, due to me having to work but we made the most of it.

Now, onward to Round Pond, Maine in a couple of days (and, of course, our COVID tests, which WILL be negative :crossed_fingers:).

11 Likes

Places we didn’t get to, sadly: Three Sisters and Persephone’s Kitchen. Next time.

9 Likes

What a lovely trip. We went to Block Island several years ago when The Sprout actually was a sprout. At the time we were there geocaching was all the rage. Now I hear folks search for glass floats.

http://www.glassfloatproject.com/

I would love to go back again someday.

3 Likes

Fabulous report, thanks digga! Loved the pictures.

2 Likes