Trends of Servingware

CHOCOLATCREATIONMARIASELYANINA41853852_2157652097580353_871944490699456512_n

Chocolate Dessert Design: Dessert Designer Maria Selyanina, Barcelona Pastry Lab.

2 Likes

Kind of like a woman’s makeup: the more theatrical the service, the more likely it becomes a caricature.

Husband’s pet peeve are asymmetrical dinner plates that won’t accept cutlery. i.e., your knife keeps falling off onto the table.

4 Likes

I’m not clear if we are taking about a specific trend or just serving ware in general . . . . .

In general - I love all the new serving ware options. Are all of them great, of course not, but there are so many options out there and many of them are beautiful (and very functional). I would much rather have an amuse bouche served in that beautiful little dish (OP) than on a giant plate with just a single scallop in the middle (though I do like a plate with some empty space). Or a few skewers served upright in the rectangular box (dish . . . not sure what to call that) as opposed to piled up on a standard flat salad plate . . . .

Keep designing people!

1 Like

Okay, I’m not applauding the pics from the “we want plates” link . . . those are all kinds of wrong . . . and I can’t stop laughing or loading more . . . insane.

2 Likes

And then there was the pretentious little restaurant in Paris where the amuses were served each atop an empty marrow bone. Each bone a different height. As I remember, each course came out on an equally bizarre base. This might have all worked had the food been edible. But it wasn’t

1 Like

I think this trend is international. I saw that in photos in some other countries… you know people copy fast from Instagram.

1 Like

A few years back and you still see this now, the trend of “forest” in your dish, bark, fern, salad or carrot planting in fake mud. I think it is still around.

Dominique Crenn of SF is famous for that.

And then there is meringue in every savoury and sweet dish at AT Paris.

Or that stamp effect, and of course monotone. (Still AT Paris)

1 Like

For servingware, the tasting menu chefs are having a lot of fun, one of the radical one I saw a few months ago in a magazine. A line of cement ware. Saw on TV Frédéric Anton is using them in his restaurant.

I usually don’t mind whatever they use, since some are for theatrical purpose but they should be clean, non toxic and practical. I remembered recently eating in a restaurant, they used a beautiful ceramic dish with a small base for the meat plate. So imagine the result, when you sliced the meat, the plate jumped around!

When I was working at the studio, I remember my boss was saying that some dinner ceramic his client (5 stars hotel) was using, the shining golden surface actually was toxic with lead!

2 Likes

Yup,. Don’t like. Those cups/mugs look as is they might be difficult/.unsafe for hot beverages. -> hot coffee in lap.

1 Like

@naf

Yes, I have seen the “forest” and “chocolate forests” and Chef Tanaka too. Quite amazing !!

I am a grand fan of the “rustic” ware for our terrace …

Fabulous Naf.

AAESCARGOTSPINTERESTf5827ad4d58d691640cdf7214b32685b

Slate slabs are quite common too … They also make a fabulous cheeseboard or charcuterie presentation.

1 Like

@Thimes,

Subjective, however, servingware and the art of plating do walk hand in hand however, both topics.

Thanks for joining us …

Trend in dessert.

Realistic fruit desserts started by Cedric Grolet or Maxime Frederic!

Those who like to play with cream and chocolate and fruits

3 Likes

Slate slabs might look nice, but I don’t like anything that needs to be cut with a knife, served on a slate slab, as a plate. It feels like nails on a chalkboard.

1 Like

At home, I have a few hand made ceramics, Japanese, Scandinavian and French for special occasions. Some you cannot put into the dish washer…no everyday usage. I have a few slate slabs, but they are more for cheese or for guests, when we don’t have enough dishes…they chip easily.

1 Like

@naf,

2 phenomenal dessert designers …

Thanks for posting and participating …

artofplatingandreaapreaaprea12744271_950289945056054_3651922154921656222_n

1 ) Julién Dugourd - Pàtissier ( Éze, Provençe - Rhone - Côte - D´Azur
2) Two Michelin Star Executive Chef Andrea Aprea - The Milan Hyatt Park Hotel
3) ***Michelin Quique Dacosta - El Poblet, Dénia, Alicante

2 Likes

It’s 5 AM in the morning and you didn’t get a good finger hold on your coffee mug. It drops on your bare foot and breaks four or five bones.:anguished:

As well as scalding you up to your knees!

3 Likes

Photo 1) *** Michelin Star Restaurant Mirazur, Menton, France.
Photo 2) Executive Chef Daniele Sera & Photographer Claudio Mollo, Tuscany.
Photo 3) Photographer Patrick Rougereau, Caen, Normandie …

2 Likes

I now fully understand the concept of being “gobsmacked”.

1 Like