Transporting Butter

Hi HO’s. I am moving from NY to northern Florida and I won’t be able to get my favorite French butter, Beurre D’Lsigny. The ride will take us three das - we plan on not rushing down. Do you think if I pack the butter well in a good cold storage food bag it will make it? I’ve looked for it on line and they want a fortune for it!

“Q: Can these butters be frozen without damaging the taste or quality?
A: Yes, the Beurre d’Isingy butter can be frozen. Ideally the butter should be kept in its original packaging and placed in freezer safe bags, to make sure that the texture will not get damaged. The butter should then be kept frozen and, once ready to use it, thawed out in the refrigerator.“

Other travelers say to wrap the frozen butter in newspaper for insulation and pack tightly in a cooler with plenty of those hard plastic blue ice packs. Even if it thaws it should arrive cold.

6 Likes

Thank you!!!

1 Like

One of our travel tricks for transporting perishable food is to tape the lid of our plastic cooler down with painter’s tape (the blue tape that comes off easily). Any type of sturdy tape that keeps the cooler lid tight will do, of course. I’ll use ice packs and/or ice cubes in plastic bags inside the cooler to help the contents stay cold.

I also throw a fridge thermometer into the cooler so that I’ll know how cold things actually stayed. And even if your frozen butter thaws it would be okay just with less shelf life remaining. That said, I’d probably refresh the ice during my trip to keep that precious butter nice and chilly.

Here’s an article about storing butter that summarizes better than I would.

Happy travels to your new place!

7 Likes

Butter bell.

Among the tricks I learned when I took frequent weekend car trips was to freeze water in 1 or 2-liter plastic bottles. They stay frozen longer than ice cubes, and if they do thaw, you have cold water to drink.

7 Likes

Hard to keep it upright and full of water in the car, perhaps?

1 Like

Shoot. I read Denise’s (@tomatotomato) post and the Martha Stewart link and didn’t get the context. Caught up now.

How much butter are we talking about? I see four options: 1. cooler and ice and daily purchase of new ice; 2. get a really good cooler (like Yeti) and tape it closed with ice inside in NY; 3. dry ice in a cooler (generally good for four, maybe five days); 4. water in a latching container (like Lock-n-Lock), submerge butter, don’t leave in hot car for hours.

I’d go the dry ice route because it’s robust and it’s fun to play with dry ice. If you haven’t used dry ice before FOLLOW ALL THE SAFETY GUIDANCE. Don’t touch it. Instant frostbite. It’s -40 degrees. C and F - that’s where they are the same.

2 Likes

There are no artisan creameries in a state of 20 million+ folks?
This seems weird to me.
Perhaps I’ve been on the west coast too long :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t know, and I hope so. But for now I want my French butter :wink:

3 Likes

I understand completely.

1 Like

There are cremeries across the state. The small farm Facebook page I linked above will turn up cow, goat, and sheep producers.

I don’t know of the top of my head who make European style butter but I’ll throw a post up since I’m already a member.

1 Like

I don’t see any link but you’ve restored my faith in butter. And Florida!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry it was on the Publix/Winn Dixie thread.

It’s a cool page…it was started to try to help small Florida farms survive when the world turned upside down and it’s gotten really popular as a way to connect people to small and family farms.

1 Like

Maybe buy a car coolbox? Mine draws its power via a cable plugged into the cigarette lighter socket:

$100 to save some butter clearly doesn’t work, but you should get years of further use out of it.

2 Likes

Thanks! Sent to a friend in the Space Coast…

1 Like

The answer from the group is that butter is too labor intensive to be profitable so the short answer is that nobody makes it. (Several posts that Publix carries, Plugra, President, and Kerrygold. Lol)

Sorry!

1 Like

Thanks. I think I will get one of those Car fridges. They plug into the lighter (used to be the lighter) in the car. My husband is insulin diabetic so dual purpose. And after my butter runs out… :sob:

2 Likes

Please check the power requirement on coolers. Cigarette lighter plugs can carry a lot of current for very short periods (e.g. heating a lighter) but they are only good for six amps continuous. That means about 70 watts. Check the data labels. Drawing too much leads to heat which leads to fire.

The connector is the weak spot. You can hardwire or use a more appropriate connector. If you need an upgrade drop me a note and I’ll send you links and instructions.

My experience with electric coolers is that Engel brand are the best.

Thank you! I was wondering about that