Trader Joe's 2024: YEA/NAY/MEH

$2/bar Crunchies

No. No you are REALLY not helping. I’ve already committed the deeply shameful act of ordering Jaw Breakers from a candy supplier because they stopped stocking my favorite ones.( ‘Jaw Busters’ from Ferrara Pan)

Now Crunchies?

I am never getting into those 34” waist jeans again, huh….

They’re now slightly over $1 - I checked before posting. Really not helping myself either :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

If I store things like this in a cupboard out of sight, maybe in something that takes a little time to open, I’m good.

One item I can’t leave alone is the Picanté Peppers in a glass jar. They are small red peppers stuffed with creamy cheese, packed in oil, not spicy hot. I guess I go after them because of sugar.

Refrigerate after opening. Consume within 5 days; no problema para mi!! At least I don’t buy more than one jar at a time.

My store again has the PRETZEL BREADSTICKS, big YAY but now, again, can’t find any French Chocolate Wafer Cookies, everyone LOVES these.

1 Like

Yay for the return of paper cartons for the jumbo eggs. They were in plastic for a while. I complained.

3 Likes

Looks like you have a lot of influence!

Maybe I can convince them to drop the NLRB lawsuit!

2 Likes

I enjoy that one as well! And Builder’s.

1 Like

Speaking of plastic, I wish they’d use something other than those stiff plastic packages for their fresh pasta products, like raviolis and tortellinis. I like them, but I try to avoid plastic.

1 Like

I gave up on the whole “avoiding” plastic. I tried my darndest for years, but as long as companies pack everything in plastic, that’s how products are delivered, i.e. contact lens solution, shampoo, cleaners, salad, single vegetables, fruit, meat, potatoes… I mean, it’s everything, everywhere.

It’s not on me to contort myself avoiding plastic, it’s on THEM to change their f’n packaging.

1 Like

I’ve never seen commercially packaged, refrigerated fresh pasta in any other kind of packaging. When I buy ravioli and fresh cut pasta locally at Market Hall, I ask for them to put it in a cardboard takeout container (which can go in the green bin) rather than their standard cellophane bag.

2 Likes

Therein lies the difference between having access to a place where fresh pasta is cut to order vs. getting supermarket /TJ’s fresh pasta brand. It’s all in plastic.

I know, and I am lucky (also because it is very good, and I can both get whatever quantity I want and get uncut sheets of fresh pasta for lasagne). Some of the locally produced frozen ravioli available at some supermarkets here is packed in boxes, but they are invariably shrink-wrapped in plastic, too. I understand why the commercial stuff is packed in plastic, for longer keeping, but I wish it were otherwise, and they’d use the vegetable-based plastic-like stuff that breaks down.

1 Like

A big Yay for the organic elote corn dippers. The plain ones are a solid meh but the elote ones have all of yjat Frito style crunch with what I’m presuming is the everything but the elote seasoning

1 Like

A moderate YAY for the frozen chicken karaage.

Irregular pieces of actual dark meat (as opposed to reconstituted nuggets) battered and pre fried, requiring only 15-20 min. in the oven. No oil or frying mess.

The chicken and breading have that distinct Japanese flavor, which I suspect comes from seasoning the chicken itself and some msg in the batter coating. It includes a mayo sauce that’s a cheap Kewpie clone (mayo with some added sugar and msg, at a guess).

The sauce is mostly a shrug, but the chicken itself is fairly tasty, though a little zhuzhing up wouldn’t hurt. Some green onions or peppers might help. A squirt of sriracha or other hot sauce of choice into the mayo wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

The chicken bits would also make a great addition to one of those bagged Asian salads if one is stuck for weeknight “I don’t want to cook” ideas.

5 Likes

msg is not listed as an ingredient on the website, is it on your package?

I’ve been curious about this.

(Though the only thing I eat with karaage is shichimi togarashi — never seen a mayo sauce served)

Guessing it’s the yeast extract

4 Likes

Have this in my freezer but haven’t made it yet.

If one orders karaage in an izakaya (Japanese pub) in Japan, the condiment that almost always comes with it is a ramekin filled with Kewpie mayonnaise or a knock-off of it. Sometimes it’s tartar sauce…especially if the karaage is “tatsuta-age”, a riff on karaage where the chicken is marinated in garlic, ginger, soy sauce, etc. and battered with potato starch.

1 Like

Agreed.

Since many people avoid MSG (I’m not one of them & not saying they should/shouldn’t or trying to stir anything up), I find it irresponsible to suggest a product is full of it, and lazy when the ingredients are right there on the package. Why guess?