Trader Joe's 2024: YEA/NAY/MEH

Those are almost too sweet for me, I keep wishing for some acid. Which might not bode well for the aged super-sweet varietal.

1 Like

Interesting. Cara Cara’s are a mixed bag for me — sometimes sweet, sometimes try. I do like color :joy:

The bags of sumo oranges are $5.99 for 4 of them, so an even better deal.

1 Like

Will look out for them, they weren’t at my store yesterday.

(Though in past years, the bags had smaller-sized fruit, so it wasn’t an even comparison.)

sometimes TART

(what’s with random autocorrect? ugh)

That likely goes against the community guidelines, so don’t be surprised if it gets flagged.

It would perhaps be better suited (IF it stays up) for this thread:

Starbucks too.

Yeah. Unfortunately, SIL does IT for Starbucks, but won’t use their products, and he’s looking for employment elsewhere.

1 Like

YEA for the Aglio Olio seasoning — maybe a bit heavier on parsley than necessary, but a great combination of ingredients for many uses.

Not too spicy, not too garlicky, but eminently adjustable.

3 Likes

I’ve been walking right past this. Maybe I need to pick it up next time.

1 Like

Wait - what?
@ipsedixit I didn’t buy those because you said they were “disgusting” :flushed::joy:

@LulusMom1 When I picked it up, I thought “I have garlic, I have chilli flakes, why am I buying this exactly?” And yet, I’ve used it all week.

2 Likes

MEH to raspberry oranges. I know better, I really do. The Moro variety, which I’m sure these are, ARE solid cranberry red. More sucker me. The lily-gilding used to be the claim that they taste like strawberries. So they’ve spread a new net, hoping to catch a few more suckers. The Tarocco variety, which are apparently rare in North America, are sweet and mild. Moro blood oranges are too acidic for me.

1 Like

Cautious YEA for the Double Chocolate Wafer Cookies.

Cautious because I am unable to put the bag down. They are not too sweet, light, but so chocolatey!

Similar craving group to the Aussie-Style Chocolate Crème Sandwich Cookies but those are much richer with their coating of chocolate (also a big YEA, have mentioned before).

1 Like

I got some of the aforementioned sumo citrus and they are a yay (though I got them at Sam’s). Well balanced and easy to peel.

1 Like

You reminded me I picked up the tangelo / minneola @TokushimaCook recommended so I could compare them side by side.

Those are also good, but not as easy to peel and the flavor of the Sumo is pretty different. If you like tart, though, the tangelo is more likely to be that, the Sumo is on the sweeter side.

(The Sumos are on sale everywhere here this week, so TJs isn’t quite the deal it usually is.)

3 Likes

Do you recall if they have seeds?

YEA for the brown sugar cardamom buns, fresh bakery section, box of two for $4.49 (Burlington MA). Best heated in an oven or air fryer for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. These are flat, around 4" diameter, topped with crunchy sugar crystals.

Perennial YEA for Sky Valley Heirloom Navel oranges, which are currently plentiful.

1 Like

I think it varies based on source, but I’ve encountered seeds.

1 Like