Trader Joe's 2024: YEA/NAY/MEH

Pretty basic, but I like it on toast.

Sounds like a good start to me. Thanks!

1 Like

Before we all collectively decide that ALL TJ’s products are NAYs , I seem to finally have found a supermarket salad dressing that is palatable to me, i.e. no nasty preservative aftertaste.

I did not purchase it, but I’m sure someone here has…not that they posted about it. Yet.

Thusly, a YAY to the Italian dressing with Romano cheese.

2 Likes

I can’t seem to resist the boxed stone fruits at TJs too early in the season. First try this past month was nectarines which never did ripen. I know they will take them back, but I kept trying them so had nothing to return. Just bought the red plums and they seem to be ripening nicely in their brown paper bags on the counter. The cashier told me I could just tell them next time; no need to bring evidence. THAT’S why I keep shopping there.

2 Likes

Maybe so, but Costco has a similar return policy, and treats their employees better.

The meta discussion thread was specifically created for non-product comments / criticisms / discussion so as not to derail this thread.

3 Likes

MEH to YEA for new-to-me frozen green beans with shiitake mushrooms.

Mixed feelings because it is VERY garlicky — and I love garlic. Also because the garlic overwhelms the shiitake flavor when microwaved. Or maybe the shiitakes are too scant.

But, cooked in a pan, the garlic would mellow and caramelize while the green beans cooked. So maybe the cooking method moves the dial to a YEA.

The Cara Caras are a big YEA while they last.

Also a YEA for the peeled garlic, which I couldn’t find last time and my cashier was kind enough to walk over and get for me (instead of ringing the bell for someone else to do so).

And YEA for the organic raw beets. The sizing varies, and I like being able to pick a bag with smaller beets or large depending on my intended use.

Mushroom variety has increased significantly.

3 Likes

MEH for the Darjeeling White tea. I was intrigued, but it’s just an average white tea–nothing special.

1 Like

I stopped buying their teas. They sound good on the package, but to me they’re uniformly bland.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t get anything but the basics in terms of tea, but their Irish Breakfast is a VERY palatable and relatively inexpensive, for your basic cuppa needs.

2 Likes

I thought so until I got some Barry’s Tea gold from Harris Teeter. It’s just much better. All the TJ’s tea seems to be mostly tea leaf dust.

1 Like

A big fat YAY for the Snacky Clusters. My personal preference would be for them to be also available with dark chocolate, but I ain’t kicking the milk chocolate ones outta bed.

1 Like

I’ll have to try those! I’m now addicted to the dark chocolate covered pretzels. Thank goodness TJs isn’t walking distance!

2 Likes

There’s a brand that makes chocolate covered potato chips. I don’t recall now whether it was a TJ’s thang or Wegmans, but boy, were they dangerous!

1 Like

There’s a Japanese brand of chocolate called Royce which has chocolate covered potato chips that are deadly. They’re available on Amazon, but are pricey.
“Mild bitter” (what we would call “semi-sweet”)
https://www.amazon.com/Royce-Potatochip-Chocolate-Mild-Bitter/dp/B008GRKWTS/ref=dp_fod_sccl_2/147-0277130-7319016?pd_rd_w=yQzdq&content-id=amzn1.sym.550e945f-c48e-4794-aff0-cc9017996f0a&pf_rd_p=550e945f-c48e-4794-aff0-cc9017996f0a&pf_rd_r=G1JQD9Q8S9M16C9VAJ77&pd_rd_wg=HeqxQ&pd_rd_r=3cf7b062-375d-47da-80d8-0570cbbeedb1&pd_rd_i=B008GRKWTS&psc=1

Milk chocolate
https://www.amazon.com/ROYCE-US-Royce-Potatochip-Chocorate/dp/B00475RX8G?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=A8VJ78ZWUGROV

2 Likes

DON’T TEMPT MEEEEEEE :smiley:

A big get-this-stuff-out-of-my-mouth NAY to Grower’s Reserve red wine blend. Stale baby aspirin in the taste, full baby diaper on the nose.

2 Likes

Gosh, with that description I almost wish wine were available at our TJ’s, so I could bring it to my favorite frenemy!

J/k, I don’t have any :smiley:

1 Like

Any chance this was a bad bottle? The baby diaper part might suggest that. Not volunteering as a blind taster; just wondering.

1 Like

No, I’ve experienced brett-y wines before, and maybe diaper wasn’t the right term here. This was a lot like a two-buck Chuck syrah I tried maybe 20 years ago. I brought some to a meeting of experienced tasters, and they said it was typical of some Central Valley wines.