Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021

I use either clove or all-spice, whatever I have on hand. Also, if you start with strained tomatoes, it is really easy.

It took me a while to readjust my palate to less sugar, thinner consistency, and spice. I bought expensive ketchup at the farmers market and I forced myself to use it. By the time it was finished, I was converted. There was no going back.

Eating less salt takes a similar commitment. I can taste flavors I could not when I allowed salt on everything.

2 Likes

I did got back to TJ’a after all this time… was a bit of an internal debate, but proximity won (and, of course, being fully vaccinated).

Some new and old YEAs:

• Crunchy curls - these are indian papad in a different shape. Addictive.
  • Ajika seasoning - having made adjika (from Kachka) I knew what to expect. I was surprised at how much this reminded me in Indian pickle seasoning.
  • Onion chips - in the dehydrated vegetable chip series. These are AMAZING. I cannot buy them again - i ate the whole bag at one go.
  • Dark chocolate mint cups - so good. They remind me of After 8s in a different shape.

And NAYs:

• Black truffle ketchup - wrong place for truffles, and the ketchup is too sweet (like TJ’s regular ketchup, which also a Nay)
  • Garlic naan crackers - weird fake butter taste
  • Dark chocolate salted caramel 4-pack - flavor wasn’t right
7 Likes

I love those onion chips! Sort of like Funyuns, but with way more onion flavor.

Nothing like Funyuns, as those are basically cornmeal made in the shape of an onion ring, with some flavoring. The onion chips are actually real pieces of onion.

2 Likes

Onion chips are great eaten as is. But don’t try to crush and sprinkle on anything, they get soggy really fast. (Fyi)

It’s what I want Funyuns to be at this point in my life.

4 Likes

Good to know. The crispy jalapeno pieces, however, are good (and do retain some texture) in soups (they’re particularly good in TJ’s bacon-corn chowder).

2 Likes

They have the fancy version of French’s at the holidays - those stay crunchy. Also, must be excellent quality as the 1.5yo can I came back to is still good!

3 Likes

Are those spicy? I wanted them but held off.

If you want spicy jalapeño. TJ’s has a strawberry and jalapeño crisp, that to me is way too spicy with jalapeño, but others may like.

1 Like

The jalapeno crisps? Not nearly as spicy as I would’ve expected. Good snack.

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re fairly mild (with a little residual heat) but have a lot of jalapeno flavor.

3 Likes

All this talk of crispy jalapenos reminded me that I picked this up in my travels. Not sure how long
its been available but we really like it. On everything…especially eggs and tun salad sandwiches.

3 Likes

They seem to have renewed the temporary worker visa for the fried onion bits. I have seen them in MA stores for over a year. If your store doesn’t carry them, it may just be that nobody has requested them. Individual TJ’s stores can pick and choose from available inventory, but apparently not for ALL items.

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Trader Joe’s meta-discussion

It’s rare that things are not requested at the NYC stores - mine is one of the most heavily trafficked.

Tbh, I still have some of the last tin (not so the jalapeños, those were too tasty a snack!)

YAY: The Geary & Masonic store has Junipero gin at $25.99 for a .750 (elsewhere it runs maybe $27-30). One of my favorite gins at a great price.

4 Likes

Yay! to the Reserve des Chastelles 2019 Tavel rose. It’s not as brooding as other Tavels I’ve tried, but perfectly fine, especially at $9.00.

1 Like

They’ve got crispy Thai chilies with sesame seeds in - mouth was on fire but I couldn’t stop eating them!

Also the pie-size spanakopita is excellent.

And thanks to @gcaggiano I looked for and found the new-to-me Taiwanese Scallion Pancakes - they’re right by the Korean Pajeon, but weren’t in stock until my last visit.

Old shout-out to the Indian Kati Pockets - like big, flat samosas.

And I recently tried the frozen chicken tamales (because they replaced the old sweet corn tamales with an awful version from Cedar Lane) - really tasty. I hope they don’t switch out that supplier as well.

5 Likes

Love the “brooding”!