Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2020

I found it decent for a cheap quick lunch. The sauce is pretty spicy, but that’s a plus for me! (Don’t remember what shape the meat was)

1 Like

Yea! to the big ribeye steaks, the ones in the vacupacks, not the ones in the trays. They’re a real bargain at around $11/lb. I’ve been letting them wet-age in the fridge for a week or so, then cooking them a la Kenji: generously salt both sides and suspend the steak over a plate in the fridge for a few hours to overnight, sprinkle my usual dry rub, and fry over medium heat, flipping every 30 seconds or so until the internal temperature is 120F. One steak lasts three meals for me.

6 Likes

bone in or boneless?

Boneless:

(US quarter coin for thickness reference)

6 Likes

thanks.

Yay - unless you’re on a diet - hand braided cinnamon/sugar bread. The braids make it difficult to get a full slice - it tends to rip apart, but even in pieces, nuke for ten seconds or so, or equally good, with patience, toast in a toaster oven -I think it might be too gooey for a regular toaster. This is not to be confused with the cinnamon/raisin loaf that is just okay. Pretty sure this is a new item (N.Y. area).

1 Like

I usually love the smell of cinnamon. I don’t have a TJ near me, but I’ve been thinking of making a trip to one to pick up a few items only they carry. Now I need to go to just take a sniff; I guess I haven’t found a cinnamon scent I haven’t liked yet and I’m so curious now.

1 Like

In the store it can be overwhelming because there are so many. However, I got a mini broom for $.99 and the scent is subtle, perfumes our home entryway, and my little kiddo loves the scent and (still wrapped)broom.:laughing:

since i just got home, it’s FYI (will update after i try). but so excited to find vanilla bean paste — 2 ounces for $4.99 (for as long as they can keep it stock, according to the most recent frequent flyer. just to be sure, i picked up 2.

3 Likes

Yea! The mini pumpkin ginger cones are back :hugs:

1 Like

I got some vanilla bean paste at TJ’s last year. Like. Will be interested to hear your thoughts!

From reading the ingredients, the paste looks like vanilla extract mixed with vanilla bean. Is it a convenience item, so you don’t have to split a vanilla bean? In my imagination I always imagined it being some sort of substance extruded by pressing vanilla beans.

1 Like

Bingo.

Nielsen Massey makes a similar vanilla paste, which I actually like better, but it’s pricier. I used to buy a big jar of the NM paste in my grocery store before all things vanilla got so dang expensive. It would last awhile and I could add vanilla to plain Greek yogurt and such on demand. Vanilla specks for visual appeal.

Now the price of vanilla has climbed so I hardly use vanilla at all. The TJ’s vanilla bean paste comes in a little jar so I can still keep some on hand, get a long shelf life, and not break the bank.

4 Likes

Their tortilla chips are a whole lotta meh. I’m currently finding the longboards cardboard-y and bland but other varieties have also been disappointing.

The red chili scalloped crackers are quite tasty, especially with cheese. Sort of like if Ritz made a red pepper cracker.

4 Likes

Snapped up a box yesterday as soon as I saw them. I haven’t confirmed, but I think this is one of the three flavors in the scalloped cracker trio, which they’ve had occasionally.

1 Like

@Babette you should try the blue corn tortilla chips. They are very good and go great with guacamole.

2 Likes

That’s what the checker told me. He also said that he felt it was by far the best of the three.

1 Like

I really like all three flavors (the trio is one of those items I buy whenever it’s available), but the red pepper is particularly good.