Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2020

That’s what the checker told me. He also said that he felt it was by far the best of the three.

1 Like

I really like all three flavors (the trio is one of those items I buy whenever it’s available), but the red pepper is particularly good.

I recall them being very tasty but extremely crumbly?

1 Like

I do recall some structural integrity issues.

Yes, but I didn’t notice it until after you mentioned it last year @Saregama. Still can’t wait to get a few packs because we all like them so much. Wish they held up as well as Carr’s Water Crackers.

picked up a few things on my latest trip — not sure all are “new,’” but new to me:

yeas:

stone hearth sourdough; nice tang compared to their san francisco sourdough.

ghee and sunflower oil spray; delish sprayed on a slice of sourdough toast.

yea for serious chocolate people only. a bit or two of each will suffice:

85% dark chocolate uganda bar and dark chocolate cover whole cocoa beans

file this last one under “what happened?”

have loved the 1000-day gouda for years. always been aaged and a bit crumbly — but the last couple of times no so much. still good, but not quite as good as it was.

have loved the 1000-day gouda for years. always been aaged and a bit crumbly — but the last couple of times no so much. still good, but not quite as good as it was.

I bought some Cabot extra-sharp white cheddar a couple weeks ago and it seemed…not very sharp. Way less sharp than it used to. I don’t know if it’s me, or if they’ve changed it. Will have to see if I feel the same way next time I get it. (The yellow “extra sharp” cheddar really isn’t particularly sharp, but the Cabot white at least used to be.)

YEA: Thanksgiving! That magical time of year when we give thanks for the things that really matter in life, like the return of seasonal favorites at TJ’s:
–Blue Cheese Stuffed Halkidiki Olives
–Scalloped Cracker Trio (the red pepper crackers discussed upthread, plus rosemary and roasted garlic versions)
–Turkey Pot Pie

YEA: Various flavors of biscotti. In order of preference: Lemon, Chocolate, Cornbread. The cranberry pistachio biscotti (either new or seasonal return, not sure) are just yea-ish; not as much cranberry flavor as I’d like.

YEA: Cheddar-Blue Cheese Pub Cheese. Not sure how long this has been around, but I just discovered it a couple months ago. Very nice flavor, the blue cheese gives it a nice tang like an extra-sharp cheddar.

YEA with reservations for the frozen Shrimp Sriracha Bowl. Nice combo of shrimp, brown rice, and edamame in a sriracha sauce (a little heat but not overly spicy), but the shrimp got tough at the end of the cooking time. My microwave might be on the more powerful side, though.

Tried TJ’s Hazelnut coffee creamer but it won’t froth in my Nespresso. It’s likely because what I bought is gluten free - at least that’s what is different from creamers I’m used to. On the positive side… the taste is good. I’ll try mixing it with some half and half next time.

YEA: Fried Olive Bites (frozen). Breaded feta-stuffed olives (kalamata and castelveltrano)–very tasty. I think this is a seasonal thing, and IIRC it doesn’t last long.

1 Like

Yea for the frozen gnocchi alla sorrentina, which already comes in a tomato-mozzarella sauce (like surrounding the gnocchi–no separate sauce packet). The gnocchi were firm with a good bite (the texture of dense mochi, IMO), and the sauce was pleasant if a touch salty. An easy weekday meal if you add a salad on the side.

3 Likes
1 Like

Limited, situation-specific YEA: Instant Cold Brew Coffee. I never drink instant at home, but it’s a staple when I go backpacking. Lately I’ve decided to ditch the weight of stove and cooking gear (and, not incidentally, the hassle of cooking) on my trips, which means cold instant coffee. I tried this out this morning and it dissolves perfectly well in cold water, and the flavor is perfectly acceptable for backpacking purposes.

4 Likes

Ooh you may have just helped me! I bet it would work camping as a hot beverage mixed with boiled water!?

1 Like

Yes, it’ll make hot instant as well. I think it’s basically just instant coffee ground to a superfine powder so it dissolves in cold water.

1 Like

Some of the fancy third-wave coffee places are featuring soluble coffee that can be used with either hot or cold water–Equator and 3-19 Coffee come to mind right off the bat.

3 Likes

Yea: Irish Breakfast tea. Apparently some years ago their Irish Breakfast was pretty tasteless, but now it’s quite good - as long as they haven’t changed suppliers again.

1 Like

26 posts were split to a new topic: Trader Joe’s yea/nay/meh 2021