trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

The cucumber body butter is also likely a thing of the past. I saw it return a year or so after I originally bought some a few years back and snapped up a supply, but that was a while ago now.

The other thing I miss that recurred once or twice seasonally and then was gone (as far as I can tell) is the ginger ultra-moisturizing hand cream, which had a great fresh ginger scent that didn’t linger unpleasantly.

1 Like

I still have some of a tube of the ginger moisturizing cream I bought pre-pandemic. It smells a lot like cola to me–not a bad thing.

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been mixing date syrup (homemade – I had way too many dates) with lime zest and lime juice to toss with roasted cauliflower. Tahini is drizzled on top along with a smattering a chopped pistachios, and then it’s all mixed together as I eat. Some days I chop up a little fresh mint too.

5 Likes

NAY to the truffle aioli.

Also NAY to the organic mayo. There’s some aftertaste I just don’t like.

2 Likes

Some years ago, I tried the organic mayo. I don’t return items if it’s just that I don’t care for the flavor, but did return the mayo, which was quite rancid. Never bought it again. Wish TJ’s had a Kewpie knock-off in a jar, because getting everything out of the tube is messy and frustrating.

Have you tried their non-organic mayo? The jar is too big for me to use up, which is why I skipped it.

No, I haven’t tried the regular mayo.

YEA: Frozen yellowtail. I’ve had mixed feelings on their frozen fish offerings, but the yellowtail was excellent, and is packaged smaller which is a big positive.

4 Likes

They’ve always given me cash refunds, but I can’t say it’s so efficient (the “three bells,” followed by the wait for the manager. better than the “three seashells,” I guess)

1 Like

I was low on good eats, so got creative with their frozen chimichurri rice. Peeled and sliced 3 small organic russets that were getting older, sautéed in olive oil, removed from pan, added sliced shallot and 2 garlic cloves. Later added frozen rice, 2 T water, added in potatoes. When almost done, added ½ package petit frozen peas, at end pieces of white American cheese. Pretty satisfying.

3 Likes
  • big yay for black forest bacon!
  • yay for frozen artichoke hearts, used to make nyt artichoke carbonara
  • yay for frozen chocolate and almond croissants. Even in nyc, tough to do better unless I hop on a subway and when we are at our place in florida…well, probably don’t need to complete that sentence.
  • boo, book and BOO for discontinuing mango chutney
2 Likes

Finally tried these–they’re addictive! Thanks for recommending.

2 Likes

yay for frozen french fries
nay for frozen waffle fries, over spiced for us
yay for malabari paratha, good with IP butter
chicken and such

2 Likes

The frozen sweet potato fries are pretty good too. Also the hash browns. All things I make myself “forget” about before going into the store.

1 Like

Those croissants!
I’ve been meaning to try the minis - as also the mini French baguettes - both from France iirc.

1 Like

the minis are not terrible but we like the choc and almond quite a bit more. and that’s coming from someone who typically prefers plain croissant.

3 Likes

If only they still had the frozen Kouign Amann, which was also an overnight proof.

6 Likes

That would be amazing! Bummed I missed it.

Oh Nooooo!

Trader Joe has discontinued my #1 favourite frozen lunch, the Misal Curry with Brown Rice!

I am really sad about this. (First world problem).

1 Like

I haven’t yet forgiven them for discontinuing the chocolate pudding.

1 Like