trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

potato leek soup? (heavy on the leeks)

The Washington Post’s Voraciously newsletter (which helped get me through the early days of the pandemic) just did a latke recipe using thawed frozen shredded potatoes (and caramelized onions). Haven’t tried it yet but it looks good.

2 Likes

Even easier (especially considering what this discussion is about) are the frozen latkes that TJ’s already makes. They are a definite “yay”.

1 Like

That’s where this conversation started…scroll up :slight_smile:

1 Like

I finally figured out how to use the :link: thingie.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

I had a couple with an omelet last Sunday. They were pretty good.

2 Likes

We did a latke face off with TJ’s vs Golden brand. Well…. It was supposed to be a face off but someone beat me to the oven and mixed them all up. Result: we couldn’t tell the difference at all. I’m guessing that Golden likely makes them for TJs. Size, texture, cook were indistinguishable. Except…… the Goldens were $2 more per box.

6 Likes

Can you explain the thingie to me please?

1 Like

The latkes were very tasty with sour cream and roe!

9 Likes

Yum! We had other Trader Joe’s stuff but I intended to make latkes and creme fraiche and smoked salmon.

1 Like

I forgot the chives!

1 Like

yay for the cheese and green chile tamales! we steamed them for ten minutes, added a little sour cream and sriracha, really good, my wife is pretty sure we’ve been served them in a restaurant :joy:

2 Likes

Peppermint Hot Chocolate was surprisingly good.

And this coming from someone who does not enjoy peppermint.

I think what makes it nice is that the chocolate is more bittersweet than milk chocolate-y sweet, which really helps play off the “coolness” of the peppermint.

1 Like

Were they spicy?

no, not at all

I was so tempted today after reading your feedback, but it’s a bit $$! $7.99?

Has anyone tried the “cannoli cream?” I’m considering making a dessert with that + almond butter, but already have another brand of the former in mind.

Thanks!

Agreed. It is pricey but I’ll be rationalizing it by pricing it at $1 per mug. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Updated for 2023.

5 Likes

Elote seasoned corn dippers. I don’t know if these are a returning item or if they’ve been around all along, but they surprised me. I searched and found a 2022 reference here, so they’re not new, but I bought a bag thinking they were the plain corn dippers……… until I opened the bag, started using them, and wondered why the TJs Spinach Dip was so spicy. Not sure if I’d buy them again, as I’m not a spicy fan. I just have to be more careful as the bags are so similar. I guess this is a neutral review. If you like spicy I’d think you’d like them.

2 Likes