trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

What? Tell me more.

Edited to add outside review:
Link

1 Like

That review is from 2016 so TJs may have changed the product. All I know is that we heat the chicken in our fancy toaster oven (microwaving isn’t something I’d do with any meat that’s breaded) and heat the sauce in its packet in the microwave (though the instructions say to do it in boiling water). The sauce IS on the thick side (compared to traditional) but it’s very tasty.

Most of our dinners are made from scratch, but this has made it into the rotation for nights when there’s no time for scratch.

NOTE: This is the package we buy but the review says it’s frozen and it’s not. It’s in the refrigerated section where they stock cheeses, prepared dips, etc. .

4 Likes

OK, I know it’s stupid. But it’s me.

I just gritted my teeth at the misspelling of “piccata” in the headline. I’m going to go on the assumption that the headline wasn’t written by the author, who spelled piccata 5x correctly within the article. LOL

3 Likes

Never noticed this, but it’s great to have some emergency type dishes like this around. Will look for it.

1 Like

I hope no one here does the NYT Spelling Bee (or if you do, you’re done for the day!)

Anyway, YAY to the TJs matzo! It’s crispy and flaky, not gummy like Manischewitz. I’d guess they are made by Yehuda, my brand of choice. And no, it is not a good sign that I’m hitting the buttered matzo two weeks early.

6 Likes

thanks for the hint! :joy:

But buttered matzo is good all year! And when it’s not Pesach, you can have the “flavored” kind (like egg & onion).

1 Like

Clearly this means I need to get to TJ’s for matzo. Though we don’t celebrate Passover, it’s always great to have some around. I hope to try making Mina de Carne if I get matzo I like. It’s a delicious-sounding meat pie that I recently read about.

3 Likes

I hope you’ll post about it if you do - I agree, sounds delicious. I bet we read the same article. :wink:

1 Like

whoops, sorry. It was the last word I got yesterday.

No need to apologize, I like piccata but never make it, might have missed it. I found them all without resorting to the official hints so :+1:

3 Likes

TJ s was incredibly useful when CDC constant dining companion was exploring different diets. Not diets for weight loss but to simply explore. There was not as many gluten free products back then so TJs to the rescue. Cdc really liked the shephard’s pie. Decided to grab one for old times sake from the refrigerated section the other day and it was good for sure but not great. I even added butter to the top. A product I did not care for several months ago, the steak and ale pies I also revisted. We both enjoyed those much more. It really might be the season though. Here in the NE usa spring has been crazy with some very cool days. This does make heavier things taste better to me. Cdc could not resist those little chocolate truffle eggs, six to a pack in the bakery section, and somehow a raspberry kringle jumped into my cart. The very very best thing about our tjs though is the nature area behind the store right now. Peepers! How I love their song. Best stress buster in the universe and only available for a limited time offer. Right before dusk until a bit after dark. Gonna try to get over to tjs one more time before our season tickets expire. #peeperspeeperspeepers

3 Likes

My favorite TJ product is the mango shave cream that comes in a tube ala toothpaste. I also buy way too many boxes of puff pastry when they have it in stock - usually November until it sells out.

3 Likes

I just tried this. The current, not-frozen version says it serves 3, and in our house it did because one person doesn’t eat much, but it really is just 2 chicken cutlets. But it’s pretty good, if somewhat reminiscent of Chicken McNuggets.

Yes. 2 cutlets. I wouldn’t even suggest it could feed three people. . I don’t know how you cooked it but I’d think microwaving would be a total loser here, though it’s one of the two methods suggested. The sauce is really what makes this thing work for us over toaster-oven-crisped cutlets.

I can’t have caffeine either. The last few years, since retirement, I’ve switched to tea because I like that black, but take my coffee with light cream. I now depend on delivery or Uber for grocery shopping, with the result that the cream always spoiled before it was finished.

I loathe dark roast but used to brew my work thermos with TJ’s medium roast decaf beans. Tiny, cheap burr grinder worked fine. I loved the flavor, which I couldn’t tell apart from caffeinated.

1 Like

Yay: We liked the TJ dark chocolate bar with pink and white available seasonally for Easter

Yay: I also tried TJ lime habanero flour tortillas, these make very good wraps. They seem to have discontinued the spinach wraps I liked, but these are good in a different way.

3 Likes

I like that chocolate bar too. I’m sad that I can’t have any while it’s still Passover. :slightly_frowning_face:

That shave cream is great. My whole family uses it.

1 Like

Three out of four of us really like the TJ solid shampoo bar. Rosemary, tea-tree, coconut, olive, jojoba (lots of food type ingredients). No plastic packaging, and affordable. Very good results.

8 Likes