Tracking household grocery expenses - what do you spend?

We tracked groceries for two months. We’re household of three, in Eugene Oregon. We spent $851 the first month, $867 the second. Comes out to $3.14 per meal per person.

We haven’t been scrimping or splurging.

Oh, and there’s a vegetable garden. That probably helps, but it is harder to measure. (I’d need to track my gardening expenditures over the entire year to average it out correctly.)

4 Likes

Interesting to see your per meal per person cost. It’s reassuring to me that yours is in the same general ($3-$4) range as ours.

1 Like

I love this link @ChristinaM ! Thanks for posting. The 1st one I read reminded me of my time in Alaska, in remote areas, including Kodiak. I’m sure it’s much better than what it used to be, but pantry stock up is essential in places like that. Also, it’s a crap shoot of sorts on what is on the barge that particular week. Often, we’d hit the store with a dinner menu in mind, which often had to change due to no stock coming in. Interesting and frustrating, but just part of living there. Anchorage and Fairbanks are a different story though, most everything is available within reason.
I’ll have to total up our expenses and see how things shake out these days. We’re definitely spending more at the store due to inflation, which is offset by cooking at home more since the pandemic.

4 Likes

Personally, I always check the clearance area in both the meat department and the dry goods area. Last week, I found two packs of Tilapia fillets for 70 cents each, I grabbed both and froze them. I defrosted and breaded one pack last night for dinner. There were 3.5 nice tasty fillets in last night’s package.

I don’t know if these were mis-marked by the meat dept. guy or if he had ordered too many of them, but they rang up at 70 cents each. I found nothing wrong with them when I opened the pack. Sunshine and I very much enjoyed them.

5 Likes

Great SCORE! I can see why you’re able to

spend about $175-$200/month for two people

3 Likes

We spend about $250-300 a month for 2 people. My wife does 2 big hauls & maybe one smaller one typically & I’ll grab a couple Walmart home deliveries for coffee & milk & tp emergencies. She gets to TJ’s about once every other month which will kick it up to the $300.

Great article in the Guardian from 10 years ago:

3 Likes

I loved looking at that book - so interesting. There was another HP book showing people’s earthly possessions/homes for the various countries too. Fascinating as well. I’ve seen one book/article about household garbage country by country, but I’m not sure if it was Hungry Planet.

1 Like

That German family drinks a lot in a week! Not just alcohol, but many containers of what seems to be fruit juice and milk, and bottled water. Lots of sugary drinks in North Carolina, too.

1 Like

When I was in high school we did an exchange student thing where a German student lived with my family for a month and then I lived with her’s a few months later. Her mom was horrified that we drank tap water (my family has a private well). They drank mineral water (carbonated) with lunch and dinner. Their tap water was fine0 but she insisted on buying bottled “still” water for me.

3 Likes

My wife uses tap water in her coffee/tea & pasta/veggie cooking but demands Spring Water only by the gallon for drinking! I drink the tap water here in Portland. It’s fine but not as good the water where I grew up (Greater NYC).

6 Likes

Thank you.
Yes, these clearance items definitely help keep us on budget. Occasionally, I will have to repeat some (sale) items for dinner, but that’s OK.
I’ve received some great advice and gotten new ideas for meals from reading Hungry Onion and the “What’s for Dinner” thread.

3 Likes

@Desert-Dan, I recently added the Too Good To Go app to my phone, and some grocery stores and gourmet shops post deals. Some is garbage, some is a bargain. It has been fun. We started a thread on the Toronto Board, and there are regionals Reddits showing the deals.
[TORONTO] Too Good To Go App
I have found some amazing bargains at the quick sale rack and clearance rack at my go-to grocery stores.

I’m hesitant to buy fresh fish on sale because the fish that isn’t on sale often isn’t fresh enough for me. I like to choose the fillets myself, so I buy fish from fish counters. I am hesitant to buy fish on sale, unless the fish guy will tell me why it’s on sale.

1 Like

The problem with Too Good to Go is that there’s no guarantee you will like, or even want to try, what you get in those “surprise bags”. The only ones near me are bagel shops and coffee shops. I don’t want a giant bag of bagels, and I suspect to the coffee shops will be uninteresting pastries (or possibly bizarrely flavored coffee). Maybe if I were in a more urban area the store selection would be better.

1 Like

Good thread, and it does make me wonder what I spend. Many years ago I used to keep track, but I’ve fallen out of the habit, and right now I’m clueless.

I think the card I use will let me slice and dice the spending data online by category, so if I’ve got time Sunday afternoon I’ll see if I can tease it out. My wife never gets groceries and the 2 girls who do their own grocery shopping use a different card than I do, so I think I should be able to isolate just this household’s spending.

Right now I’m mostly cooking for 2, sometimes 3, during the week. And some weekends a couple of kids might be home for a few meals, so sometimes it’s 5.

2 Likes

OK, I got too curious to wait.

The Citi card only holds data a couple of years, and was a bit messier parsing it out than I’d hoped, but I was mostly able to figure it out.

For calendar year 2022, we averaged $280 a week in grocery. The past 3 months of this year (Jun-Jul-Aug) we’ve averaged a bit less at $260/week. Some of this decrease may be an artifact of not having holiday meal prep in there. The oldest data available were from last quarter of 2021, in which we averaged $350/week.

The above would be almost entirely food with the exception of Zip-Loc bags and kitchen and bath paper products, which I do buy at groceries. Other kitchen/bath non-foods we get at Target (and I don’t grocery shop there), and my booze habit is cash at the local beverage mart.

My son was still here for most of that “past 3 months 2023” data grab, and 2022 would have included him and a considerable larger amount of daughters’ visit times. So I put a tickler up for end-year to see if our costs go down a lot more if I’m not feeding him/them so often.

I’d have loved it if Citi would have had data going back to 2018 when we were cooking for 6 pretty much full time and 8 a couple of times a month as well.

3 Likes

I have favorited my favourite coffee shops and gourmet markets. I sort by rating and distance.

I see it as a bonus surprise grab bag. I realize I might not like what is inside. For 10 or 20 percent of the regular price, I wouldn’t expect to be able to choose what I’m getting.

You can keep the bakery and baked goods out of your search, and focus on fruits or meats , at least I can in Toronto and London, ON.

I know that my favourite bakery only posts around 4:15 - 4:45 pm each day, and it’s gone in minutes.

So far, I’ve only bought one grab bag. The owner asked if I wanted charcuterie or pandan croissants. I chose charcuterie. The bread sticks were stale, the salami was okay, and the cheese was very generous. I ate the salami and some cheese , and I threw the remaining cheese into my freezer.

2 Likes

We had a long established fruit and vegetable market run by an aging hippy who made and sold tie dye t-shirts, drove an ancient VW van with a brown, dried up balsam Christmas wreath on the front of it. He sold produce from local farms as much as he could, but also had stuff from CA and FL. He would go up to Boston’s Chinatown and resell jars and cans of ingredients with the original price stickers crossed through with black magic marker and his happy price marked instead.

He used to have a few racks of surplus/old breads, produce and canned stuff at one end of the store. Some of the produce was free for people who fed rabbits and carrots for horses. I used to check it out all of the time and got great bargains. Sadly he decided to retire and closed the store about 4 years ago. It was demolished and a developer built condos there.

3 Likes

There doesn’t seem to be any such filter in my app. (I’m in New Jersey.)

If you click on browse at the bottom of your screen, is it possible to sort by distance, rating, etc? That’s how I do it. The app might look different on some other smartphones.

The filter is near the top right.

1 Like

I don’t have a clue how much we spend a week here in Toronto on groceries. (I’ll ask cos he’s the shopping fiend of the two of us.) However, we shop at a combination of Loblaws, mostly for the 50% off meat and fish deals we can freeze, No Frills for vegetables and fruit, Farm Boy for herbs and marked down bakery goods, and Chinatown places for our Asian cooking ventures. More or less. Since it’s never all in one place it’s hard to keep track. After ten months in Toronto and our initial shock at the prices, we are finally figuring out how to shop smart, but I love the odd gourmet food store or artisan bakery visit and shopping for European treats we’ve been missing in the ethnic areas of Little Italy and Little Portugal.

3 Likes