Tourist traps

Lived in CA my entire life… don’t recall ever having access to healthcare as a taxpayer.

Understood.
Is this more politics?

I’m sorry. I’m just not comfortable being lumped in.

1 Like

You are right and I get that a lot. Even from my kids, who have used Covered California. At the same time, I’ve spent the last ten years treating patients whose health care is paid for from taxes. That’s not most of us.

But I’m done. Subject for a different forum.

2 Likes

Don’t be done… it’s a good point to argue. And I am curious about the qualifications of your patients.

2 Likes

Medi-Cal. Mostly kids in foster care. Sometime Juvenile Hall. Sometimes documented kids in undocumented families.

No tourist traps here.

3 Likes

Thanks! Way different than Canada’s healthcare though.

1 Like

You are very welcome.
“Way different than Canada’s healthcare though.”
That’s what I understand. My neighbor is from Canada. I’m always interested in hearing others experience of health care in other countries ( including my son who is currently living in Turkey) , but not here on HO.

2 Likes

I don’t mind them . What the heck . If people want to enjoy themselves and chow down at a tourist trap . So be it .
I was born and raised in a tourist trap . Santa Cruz. Beach Boardwalk. I loved that place growing up . Along with the wharf , and downtown.
After 60 years . I moved to another tourist trap . The one with the big mountain in northern California where the lemurians live .

4 Likes

No way, Jose! The Santa Cruz Boardwalk was the real (American) deal! Salt water taffy, some of the first soft serve ice cream, fabulous French fries, a quintessential and historic merry-go-round, bumpum cars you better believe in, an absolutely classic fun house. And of course, for its day, a world class wooden roller coaster. And I forgot THE PLUNGE.

The tourist got his money’s worth here.
And I’m not even FROM Santa Cruz!

3 Likes

Holy cannoli! Warriors, NBA, nevermind.

1 Like

We used to spend hours in the fun house. The roller coaster. Well, that took some time to get the nerve to ride it .The wild mouse was another story. Walking with sandy bare feet , maybe a little sugar to make the sand stick . The smell of cotton candy and gun powder from the 22 concession. I’m headed to the penny arcade for my favorite games . Way before video enhancement.

3 Likes

The gunny sack slide in the fun house! Oh yes. To be honest, I never worked my way up to the roller coaster. Heck, I don;t even like like the rush of a fast downhill schuss!

2 Likes

Those stairs were super scary to me . Once I got up them and down the slide on the gunny sack . You couldn’t keep me off that slide .

2 Likes

Interesting topic as I’ve been reading about the unfortunate sinking of the iconic Jumbo restaurant in Hong Kong, as it was being hauled away. That was an iconic tourist trap. It’s lure was the gaudy decor and design, and supposedly great seafood given it’s location of flossing in the harbor. The one time we are there in the 80s, it was not memorable.

Aside from value for the quality of the food, I think it has to have a reputation for one reason or other that lures a tourist in. It could be the reputation specific to that restaurant (think of Geno’s vs Pat’s cheese steaks) or of that area that may fool a tourist into believing it is to quality (e.g., North End in Boston, where only very few restaurants are actually worth the wait). Faneuil Hall in Boston gets called a tourist trap, but it’s more a tourist attraction. Lots of noteworthy historical sites, right besides boring stores you might find in a mall or a store filled with useless Boston tchotchkes. No one really expects good food there or interesting shopping there though.

1 Like

The one time I went to Tavern on the Green, it was for a work Christmas party in 1995. The food was actually decent, leading me to believe that they saved their best stuff for the catering menu.

2 Likes

Around here (NJ) a lot of restaurants don’t list prices for beverages (at least for soft drinks).

When we were in India 25 years ago, I was impressed that the beverage prices in the cinemas were pretty much the same as those on the street outside.

2 Likes

The Rupee is 78 to the Dollar right now! Nuts!

This was March 97, incidentally the first time I ever visited the US :slight_smile:

We’d made a reservation for 8pm, thinking we could just “swing by” the ESB en route. Of course, the lines were long at ESB, and we ended up running late. When we got out there were several limos waiting outside. I was so naive to think that maybe they were there to pick up someone famous :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Once I realized you could rent them we just went for it. First and last time I ever rented a limo.

The interior at the Tavern to me was like a very mild acid trip. Lights! Shapes! Weird people.

The best kind of cheese. Hasn’t it reopened recently?

3 Likes

High prices along with mediocre food and a good story