[TORONTO] Downtown - Met Dining Room

A friend and I went to The Met Dining Room, the student-run restaurant at the Ted Rogers School of Management. There’s a $23 two course and $25 three course menu which changes every two weeks.

Not as posh as The Chef’s House run by George Brown, but some attentive and friendly service. Unclear that they train chefs here, it’s more about hospitality service. (Edit - apparently, yes)

My three courses: a green salad, grilled salmon with spinach, sticky toffee pudding. My friend chose the roasted tomato soup curried cauliflower steak with lentils, and the same dessert. Unlimited still or sparkling water was $3 extra. No espresso drinks on site. No bread offered either.

Salad and dessert were very nice, friend said the soup was lovely, although I thought it quite small. My fish was overcooked but had a lovely crispy oily skin - the best bit.

At any rate, glad to have tried this. Perfect if you’re going to the Eaton centre or Dundas square. Reservation was made but it was pretty empty, and these students deserve a chance to practise! Find them at 55 Dundas St W, 7th floor. New menus are published on their Instagram @themetdining

4 Likes

Good to know about. I used to go to the George Brown restaurant intermittently years ago. They used to have you provide specific feedback to the servers and kitchen. Did they ask you to provide feedback for this meal?

1 Like

Great find.
When I worked downtown, I used to go regularly to the “Ry High” version of this. Back then, a form was supplied asking for specific feedback.
Subsequently, it closed down and the entire programme seemed to collapse, and the George Brown courses became the preferred option.
I somehow missed the ‘revival’ under the ‘Met regime’. But it’s now back on my radar.

Incidentally [for DrJohn] after my last few visits to the George Brown place they have NOT asked for feedback (which was previously an intrinsic part). I offered it anyway, for a while, but got the impression that it was no longer ‘desired’.

1 Like

Has anyone here been to the Durham College version of this? I’m thinking of making the trip to Bistro 67 in Whitby.
https://www.bistro67.ca/

No feedback requested. Would gladly have given it.

1 Like

We made a visit last week.
It was completely full (we reserved ahead).
Service ‘needed practise’ - but that is the reason for their existence!

Incredible value. The soup in particular was excellent and the serving of this picked up over the lunch (the dining room seems to really be a cafeteria, so you can see things happening at most other tables).
We ‘assumed’ the kitchen was also students (not so, according to your original review) so when asked for feedback (verbally - the supervisor came over towards the end of the meal) we commented on ‘everything’.
I hope the chef wasn’t ‘too insulted’ (errors in kitchen were minor). Two courses for $21, three for $25. And you can practise your ‘reviewer skills’ at the same time!

I’ll be back.

3 Likes