[Toronto] and [Greater Toronto Area] closures of 2024

Closures of restaurants, bakeries, bars, and stores in Toronto and the Greater Toronto Area.

1 Like

Oliver & Bonacini closures. To be frank, I’m surprised their BV restaurant lasted 20 years.

1 Like

1 Like

Gare de l’Est has permanently closed.

2 Likes

Despite being a short walk away from us, we never tried Bach Yen. We already had our Vietnamese go-tos with Hanoi 3 Seasons, MiMi, and Que Ling.

Gare de l’Est was OK when we went, but never strong enough to make a priority. Wonder what will replace it?

1 Like

Yeah, no loss for Gare de l’est. Too expensive for what you get. Especially since Batifole exists.

2 Likes

Agree, Batifole is better in terms of both the food and the value.

2 Likes

I hope another Bistro, or a Trattoria, open in that space. It’s a nice place in terms of location for dinner before theatre, and I appreciated the relatively large patio. I am vulnerable so I’m not dining inside restaurants without patios. I have ordered take-out bistro food from restaurants that offer it. (Le Baratin and Milou offer take-out, I haven’t asked about take-out at Batifole, since I’m rarely east of Yonge Street)

I had gone to the Gare de L’Est’s heated patio with a friend who lives on Carlaw a couple times in 2021.

1 Like

Pascal is a wonder of nature.

2 Likes

Flo’s Diner closes after 30-plus years
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/another-of-torontos-beloved-diners-is-closing-after-more-than-30-years/article_8f41727a-e78d-11ee-b6d8-8bd34307f924.html

1 Like

A great newsletter/blog to follow by RSS is this Open/Closed report, get lots of great intros to new spots & closure reports. I wish she’d focus more on local and less on chains, but there may be a financial kick-back for the chains? Not sure.

2 Likes

I’ve been following her for awhile now and if she’s getting any financial help paying for her time and operating expenses, I’m all for it. I don’t know of anyone who covers this as comprehensively and with the detail she does.

2 Likes

The Danish Pastry House on Pape closed on March 1, 2024. It had been in business for 61 years.

1 Like

Silk road restaurant on Bay Gerrard closed sadness was a go to spot

1 Like

Sad to hear this. I enjoyed it.

Oakwood Hardware closing May 30, 2024

T

he iconic Chinese Seafood Restaurant " O’Mei, Richmond Hill " who introduced us foodies to their delectable, world famous ’ Giant Lobster 5 ways '…etc IS PERMANENTLY CLOSED!😢

To bring back some fond memories, here are some photos of their iconic multiple ways preparation of Giant Lobster, King Crab and Floridian Yellow-Fin Grouper

1 Like