Toronto, $15 bucks and under

I’ve not been to Ladybug Tavern on College St. They have some $12 specials, a rarity in TO.

A few items at Fonda Balam are under $15.

2 Likes

La Spesa, a gourmet shop at 1700 St Clair W, west of Caledonia, has Italian sandwiches, which I haven’t tried yet.

Beef Pastel ($11ish) and Chicken Corn Pastel ($8ish)from Samba on St Clair W.

3 Likes

If you’re looking for deals, check the clearance section at Loblaw’s. (If you don’t hate Loblaw’s)
Spotted yesterday at a Loblaw’s in London.

Quaker Oatmeal is on sale at Sobey’s this week. I’ve been paying around $5 at Metro, Loblaw’s and Sobeys the past 2 years.

1 Like

Evil Westons, man

2 Likes

How can Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Sauce at $0.94 be wrong?

The locally made (in Fergus) lime and lemon cordials have cost $17 a bottle at Farm Boy and at Loblaws. It’s a pretty good product. I have tried both varieties this summer. Now I’m heading back onto chai masala , Earl Grey and hot coffee season for myself, so I’m curbing the lemonade intake.:

2 Likes

Hat tip to @calam1ty, here is the 2Good2Go app. There is a rating to suggest whether the grab bag of extras is good value at various restaurants and grocery stores.

I plan to try some indie coffee shop offerings some time.

I expect some of the produce offerings would be quite ripe.

I was surprised to see Eataly and Summerhill Market have offers, as well as Tre Mari, from time to time.

2 Likes

There’s a bit of a mystery around these magic bags. A secret society that doesn’t like to tell you what’s inside. We’ve used them in both London and now Toronto. There was more food/meals in Hackney. However, here in Toronto my partner once got very eager and went for three or four in one go. That day we had five loaves, some croissants, a few muffins, I think four sandwiches, cold pizza, a cupcake, and one place even included housemade dry noodles. Our freezer was full. Most of the things were at least edible. After that he tried to limit himself to only one, two at the most. Timmies always has bags (ignored along with 711 etc). Eataly’s go fast, so grab them and hope someone didn’t click before you do. Tre Mari is actually quite frequent and we plan to try one of theirs soon, even though I’m not a cannoli fan (I think they list cannoli boxes specifically). It’s all good fun, helps reduce food waste and can be a treat. Agreed re produce. We’re too picky and what’s left behind may not be the quality we’re looking for. Would be curious to know who else uses the app. Keep it secret or share the wealth! (Do we need a new thread :wink:)

2 Likes

Feel free to start a new thread. I was impressed that Rahier is selling through them, as is Nadège in the Annex!

A whole cake at Nadège runs $45, and they’re croissant sandwiches and croques are around $11ish, so there could be some treats there.

I went through and favorited every place I like.

Tsuchi, the vegetarian Japanese coffee shop in Little Italy also has some bags sometimes.

I think it’s a great incentive.

1 Like

Wish I were closer!

1 Like

I keep seeing people buying goods from places like Bakery Pompette at 7:18 am or 4:10 pm, but when I check the app, most of the options are Tim Hortons or 7 11. :joy: I like the rating filter, which allows you to rank them, from better rating to worse!

Available at 2:07 pm today (Friday)

I think the trick is to go to places with a rating that is higher than 4, if you can!

1 Like

Bowl of regular pho at Pho Linh is $15 or below, so is two slices of pizza from Pizza Badiali!

2 Likes

At 4:50 pm, I took a moment to consider whether I could drive from Avenue and Lawrence to Gouter, and still get to Earl Bales Park by 5:30 pm, decided it was worth a try, and by the time I clicked reserve at 4:51 pm, it was gone :joy:

1 Like

Delicious breakfast sandwich at Masa Deli.

Fattoush at Tabule, $15 before tax.

Mejadra,$8 before tax

3 Likes

Day Olds at Coco’s on College

1 Like

Needing a quick dinner in the neighbourhood of Yonge and Davisville, we finally crossed Flaming Stove off our list. Located inside a Hasty Mart, they have plenty of packaged Middle Eastern salads, dishes to warm up (e.g., Egyptian kusherie), dips, and desserts. But what people come in for are the saj wraps.

As you are waiting for an order, you can watch the staff skilfully stretch a wad of dough out into a large disc (within a few seconds), then drape it over a pillow to shape it further:

Then they place it on a hot cooking surface where it quickly puffs out:

In a few more seconds it is taken off as it has browned:

The saj are the base for 4 basic wraps. We tried the chicken shawarma and the falafel, both of which come with options of lettuce, tomato, onions, two kinds of pickles, cabbage, tahini, garlic sauce, hot sauce, and amba sauce. The result is slightly shorter than my forearm and about the same girth (the pictures below are of half each wrap). All this for $14.99.

Chicken shawarma:

Falafel:

Both were very enjoyable and enough food for two meals. The saj was particularly appealing - thin and light, with a lovely subtle flavour. We also sampled the hummus, which was good, although we are not sure why Toronto Life highlighted it as one of the best in the city.

3 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

In my nabe, will check it out soon! Shawarma options are pretty dismal round these parts.

2 Likes

I like the middle eastern food at both Zeyzafoun and Tabule in your part of town.

The shawarma in a pita isn’t cheap at Tabule, but it’s pretty good in my experience, although I tend to order other stuff instead.

I haven’t tried Zeyzafoun’s chicken shawarma yet . $11.

1 Like

Ya, Tabule is good but I never go there for the shawarma, too many other options. I have no problem driving to Scarbs for the best shawarma in the city when the craving hits me tho.

1 Like

Maybe I will try the new doner place on Baldwin for dinner tonight.
Leaf Doner

https://www.leafdoner.ca/

Or Chef Harwash at Scadding Court

https://chefharwash.com/