Top Chef Season 18

I’m at - 12 or 13 or re-re-watch. The one with the vets vs the rookies. Why don’t I like Brooke?

It was very weird. And Katie was not a great host. It’s a totally different show than it is now. I kind of miss all the backstabbing!!

1 Like

I have my DVR set to record new episodes of Top Chef. Last night there was a teaser three minute video about the upcomng season. It looks intense as usual, and fun! I’m looking forward to it!

2 Likes

I just noticed Chef Stephen looking up recipes on AOL in season 1! How long did THAT last? (Not AOL; looking up things on the internet).

1 Like

Occasionally they do challenges where they need to research something. One challenge was food from early cultures. So maybe that was one of those challenges?

I remember that! But no, he just said he needed some desert recipes, which seems like an option the folks who say they needed one in “their back pocket” don’t have.

Favorite. Moment. Ever.

“You son of a bitch!”

Still not ready to watch AB.

1 Like

That was a great one!!!

1 Like

I’m now on to Top Chef Masters. Just. Need. To. Make. It. To. Thursday.

1 Like

I rewatched a couple of seasons. I don’t like it much I think because I cant’ stand that judge from Saveur. We will see how desperate I get!

Here are the cheftestants

https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/top-chef-all-the-contestants-for-season-18/

Nor the guy wit the British accent. The both seem pretty good at looking down their noses. But the chefs are great, so is the food, and no shenanigans.

I am so freaking excited. Can’t hardly wait. Maybe I should start a bunch of new threads.

1 Like

You are probably watching it by now but here is a local news clip of a Portland Chef if you are interested.

Soter Vineyards’ head chef looks to be ‘Top Chef’ | KOIN.com

1 Like

It’s on! It’s on (here in California )! I’m recognizing faces from the television food competition circuit.

Thank you for sharing. NOTE: ONLY MINOR SPOILERS BELOW, but just in case:

I was really interested in learning more about this cheftestant after last night. I was curious because she described her own cooking as “grandpa food” (if I heard correctly) and so I wasn’t expecting much on the first dishes. I thought she’d be comfort food focused. But I thought what she made looked good and it sounded really good too.

I’m already on alert with the Mr. “I’ve worked for Tom before” (seemed like an unnecessary call out) and Ms. Sound Effects (she’s interesting…). I’m particularly curious as to Ms. Sound Effect because I recognize that I sometimes make random sounds as I work too. :rofl: Usually throwing out a sound or two, but she seemed to be going into full sounds in place of dialogue. :crazy_face: I’ve never done that before. Might just be the dreaded tv edit, and worse - the misleading next episode edit.

2 Likes

I believe it was grand MA food, and I didn’t make much of it at the time, but I do now, and believe we have editors to thank for that. I think they are trying to tell us something about Mr. “I-used-to-work-for-Tom” as well. Maybe he will be this season’s villain.

From an earlier link;
Nakajima is no stranger to reality TV kitchens — he appeared on Food Network’s “Iron Chef Gauntlet” in 2017.

I saw the Olympian Top Chef (Dawn Burrell) on “Man vs Master” or something like that.

First impressions while still watching:

• the chefs seemed to team up well with everyone contributing
  • but there were lots of glares from some chefs and lots of loud whispers
  • holy crap RICHARD’S HAIR :astonished:
2 Likes

Oh my indeed on Richard’s hair. Hahaha! It was like growing on its own, separate from Richard’s control.

1 Like

“Gabriel proudly announces he won Eater Portland’s 2017 Chef of the Year. This earns him a few side-eyes from his co-contestants and a weak “congratulations,” from Padma. Ouch, the edit on that.”

And…

" Wearing pigtails and a Hawaiian shirt for her talking head portions, the producers are setting Sara up to be the easygoing assassin. She notes she doesn’t feel like she belongs in the Top Chef kitchen, saying, “I like to chill and cook some food.”

Then…
“Portland is obsessed with birds” as the hook to this challenge."

And then something like “there are over 500 birds in Oregon alone”. I wondered what that meant.

Um, that really was weird.

This season seems it may have its share of snarkiness. We shall see.

1 Like