Tomato Season - the Master Thread

I just had my first garden tomato this morning, in a toasted tomato sandwich with butter, salt and pepper. I will repeat this until there are no more tomatoes but hope to find new ideas here too. It’s a joke in my family that my mother and her siblings only use butter, salt and pepper to cook all their favourite foods, but it really is the best combination on a tomato sandwich, though I use mayonnaise if it’s a BLT.

2 Likes

The tomato and mayo sandwich- just toasted white or brown bread, tomato and mayo- is a really big deal in Ontario, where I live, especially with those who are descendants of ths Anglo Saxon stock that settled many parts of Ontario. (Quick online glance is showing the tomato mayo sandwich is also a big deal in New England, the South, on Food52, everywhere- I grew up in a Greek- German vacuum. LOL)

I didn’t know it was a thing until I was close to 20, when our neighbour was raving about her tomato and mayo sandwich.

I grew up ordering bacon and tomato sandwiches (no lettuce, listed separately from the BLT) at a small town luncheonette.

This avocado tomato egg mayo triple decker is cute!

2 Likes

I saw you locked it, but I do enjoy continuing threads on the same topic when it’s an ingredient or dish or similar.

Lot of good ideas to scroll through, be reminded of, and even respond to much later!

2 Likes

I had an early spurt of tomato excitement but haven’t actually gotten into it because too much eating out.

On the list for soon:
Pan con tomate x many times
Fresh tomato “sauce” with capellini
Mom’s tomato salad
Japanese tomato avocado salad

I do love roasted tomatoes when there’s an excess, but that works with less-than tomatoes all year too, as also other cooked applications like tomato tarte tatin. But somehow I always think of the tarte in tomato season!

2 Likes

Yes, the problem is that when a date/year is in the title, it discourages some posters from posting there while leading others to respond to outdated posts/inactive posters, resulting in general confusion. Luckily the thread is still searchable. Perhaps it makes sense to retitle this thread without the date and make it something of a “master” tomato season thread - @Phoenikia, do you have any objections?

2 Likes

Fine with me, no objections.

1 Like

Done! I also moved the posts from the now-locked 2017 thread over, but they are not appearing chronologically. Let me know if this causes confusion and I will move them back.

2 Likes

This is fine.

1 Like

Could we have gone the other way to preserve chronology, as there were more posts there?

Anyway I’m fine with this becoming the master thread with a link to the other one, or making that the master and adding the new responses to the bottom there (assuming the title could just be edited to remove the year).

Didn’t mean to create a Thing, sorry!

1 Like

Possibly - let me try it. The forum software has endless functionality, some of which I have still not fully explored!

ETA - Mission accomplished!

3 Likes

Thanks @biondanonima . Looks good.

1 Like

This Tomato Choka works for this thread as well as CARIBBEAN - Summer 2022 (Jul-Sept) Cuisine of the Quarter

1 Like

I make green tomato pickle. It is marvelous on cold meats.

2 Likes

Ready for this seasons sandwiches! And trying some new packaging.

8 Likes

The other night I made an all tomato frittata. I’ll bet it would be good with a layer of green tomatoes in there.

2 Likes

Looks like you’re all set for sammiches and BLTs :wink:

1 Like

When I first came here to Oregon I found a lady who made green tomato ketchup.
It was wonderful.
I’ve never found any since.
Has anyone ever made it?
Lots of recipes.
For instance

2 Likes

salsa casera
BLT
tomato slices olive oil, salt, basil
simple spaghetti with tomato, olive oil, garlic, sweet peppers and basil (lot of fresh basil)

Bout it so far. Haven’t gotten a ton yet.

1 Like

So I’ve wondered about this for years. How is tomato soup (not gazpacho but the warm/traditional with grilled cheese type) really different from tomato sauce that you’d put on pasta? Onion/garlic sauteed in oil. Add tomatoes and/or paste. Add herbs if desired. Cook for awhile. Puree if you want or leave chunky. Add cream if desired (vodka sauce anyone)? Soup and sauce: aren’t they really one and the same?

1 Like

Canned tomato soup is much sweeter than tomato sauce.

I wrecked a dish recently by using some leftover condensed Campbell’s tomato soup in a pasta dish.